Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill believes defender Titus Bramble still has a lot to offer the Black Cats if he can stay injury-free.
The centre-back, who is in the final year of his contract on Wearside, impressed while deputising for Carlos Cuellar as the Spaniard recovered from a hamstring strain.
Cuellar replaced Bramble for the 3-0 defeat at Manchester City last week but O'Neill still has the 31-year-old in his plans, though hopes he can avoid picking up any more fitness problems.
He told the Sunderland Echo: "Titus' problems are always about staying fit.
"It is always a balancing act with Titus in training during the week - we have to get as much training into him without aggravating any injuries or risking swelling of the knees.
"It's a shame because you can see just how good he could have been had it not been for the injuries but he still has a lot to offer.
"He's bigger and stronger than he looks too. From a distance or on television you'd think he'd be 5ft 11ins but he's actually a big player and he won't get out-muscled by anyone."
- Breathtaking Views At Breakneck Speed: Zipwiring Over Sunderland
- Phillips And Rae Ready For The Derby
- Colback: Last Derby Still Stings
- O'Neill: Don't Put Pressure On Johnson
More from Sunderland AFC
- Liverpool In Talks To Sign Sunderland Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet
- Sunderland Boss Di Canio To Fine Overweight Players
- Transfer Talk: Liverpool Closing On Deal For Sunderland's Simon Mignolet
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Target Abel Hernandez Set For Palermo Stay
- Transfer Talk: English Interest Mounts In Sunderland Target Abel Hernandez
- No Plastic Mags Allowed: Sunderland Memorabilia Collector Shows Off 'Beach Ball' Match Ball
- Thursday's Newcastle Transfer News: Bent Move Doubtful, Cabaye Chase Hots Up
- Thursday's Sunderland Transfer News: Mignolet Nears Exit, Another Striker Linked
Related tags: Sport
- Alan Pardew 'Undermined' By 'Pointless' Kinnear Appointment
- Newcastle United's Yohan Cabaye Not For Sale Says Joe Kinnear
- Joe Kinnear: Listen To Sky Sports News Interview In Full
- Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye: Monaco Transfer 'Might Interest Everyone'
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle Target Aubameyang Eyes Monaco Move
- Simonside Challenge Soapbox Derby: Wacky Races In Northumberland
- Fasten Your Seatbelts: Rally Event Aims To Bring Motorsport To Sunderland
- Aussie Rules Comes To Newcastle: Meet The North East's First AFL Team
Related tags: Football
- Betting Suspended On Cabaye Move From Newcastle United To Monaco
- Transfer Talk: San Lorenzo Still Hope To Sign Newcastle United's Fabricio Coloccini
- Newcastle United Captain Fabricio Coloccini To Stay For Another Year
- Surprise Surprise: Newcastle United Tea Lady Gets Free Sky For A Year
- Iconic Newcastle United Gates To Return To St. James' Park After 20 Years On Farmland
- Transfer Talk: Monaco Interested In Newcastle United's Yohan Cabaye
- Transfer Talk: Steven Taylor Not Looking For Newcastle United Exit
Related tags: Sunderland
- Sunderland Transfer Policy Worries Former Scout Pop Robson
- SAFC Sign El-Hadji Ba: Are These The Faces Of The New Transfer Policy?
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Set To Make Guilavogui Bid
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chasing Livorno Striker Paulinho
- Wednesday's Sunderland Transfer News: Fourth Signing In, Could Four More Follow?
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle And Sunderland To Do Battle Over Inter Midfielder Joel Obi
- Tuesday's Sunderland Transfer News: Three New Signings And More Linked
- Sunderland Triple Signing: Valentin Roberge Cabral And Modibo Diakite