Premier League footballer Kieran Richardson has been fined after being caught speeding.
Richardson’s Mercedes was caught by a speed camera travelling at 36mph on the 30mph Western Terrace in East Boldon, South Tyneside, in February.
The 27-year-old, who was sold by Sunderland AFC to Fulham in the summer, was sent a letter giving him the chance to accept a £60 fixed penalty notice and have three points added to his licence, but due to a mix-up with post, his cheque did not arrive.
Richardson’s father Clive was at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court to represent his son.
He told the court that he had tried to send a cheque to Northumbria Police to accept the fine and points, but was told it never arrived.
Richardson was subsequently charged with speeding and summonsed to the court.
Magistrates decided to hear the case in his absence.
Glenda Beck, prosecuting, said the offence happened at 9.40am on February 24 - while he was still playing for Sunderland.
She added: "A speed camera on Western Terrace captured a Mercedes going past at 36mph.
"A search of the national drivers’ database revealed the owner of the car was Kieran Richardson and he was sent a letter with the chance to accept a fixed penalty notice and three points.
"Police say a response to that was not received and he was summonsed to court."
Magistrates gave Richardson the benefit of the doubt and he was fined £60 and given three points.
The court heard he already had six points on his licence and he was given 14 days to make the payment.
Richardson left Sunderland for Fulham for an undisclosed fee last month.
- Richardson Seals Move To Fulham
- Transfer Talk: Fulham Close On Richardson
- Sunderland Take Rose On Loan
More from Sunderland AFC
- Sunderland Sign David Moberg Karlsson From IFK Goteborg
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Linked With Move For Argentinian Lucas Orban
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Make Matej Vydra Loan Bid
- Steven Fletcher Fitness Boost For Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio
- Newcastle And Sunderland's 2013/14 League Fixtures Announced
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
- Liverpool In Talks To Sign Sunderland Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet
Related tags: Sport
- Derek Llambias Quits Newcastle United Role: Live Blog
- Derek Llambias Resigns From Role As Managing Director At Newcastle United
- West Ham Sign Former Newcastle United Striker Andy Carroll For Club Record Fee
- Newcastle United Boss Alan Pardew Leads The Premier League Sack Race
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew: I'm Going Nowhere
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle United Pulled Out Of Douglas Deal By Joe Kinnear
- Free Travel Offered To Away Fans On Derby Day
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
Related tags: Football
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
- Sky Sources: Andy Carroll To Undergo West Ham Medical
Related tags: Sunderland
- Sunderland Boss Di Canio To Fine Overweight Players
- Transfer Talk: Liverpool Closing On Deal For Sunderland's Simon Mignolet
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Target Abel Hernandez Set For Palermo Stay
- Transfer Talk: English Interest Mounts In Sunderland Target Abel Hernandez
- No Plastic Mags Allowed: Sunderland Memorabilia Collector Shows Off 'Beach Ball' Match Ball
- Thursday's Newcastle Transfer News: Bent Move Doubtful, Cabaye Chase Hots Up
- Thursday's Sunderland Transfer News: Mignolet Nears Exit, Another Striker Linked
- Sunderland Transfer Policy Worries Former Scout Pop Robson