Sky sources understand Sunderland have held talks with Manchester City over an initial £10million deal for out-of-favour winger Adam Johnson.
The winger only signed a new five-year contract at the Etihad Stadium in January but has grown frustrated after failing to hold down a regular place in City's star-studded side.
The Black Cats are thought to be keen on bringing the England international back to the North East, while he has also been linked with Tottenham and Everton.
City boss Roberto Mancini understands Johnson's frustration but is reluctant to let players leave as his side prepare to juggle the defence of their Premier League crown with UEFA Champions League football.
However, the Italian is thought to be chasing Swansea's Scott Sinclair and Johnson's exit could hasten the arrival of the winger.
Johnson has denied reports of a row with Mancini following City's Community Shield win over Chelsea last Sunday, but is keen to talk with the manager about his future after blaming his England snub at Euro 2012 on his lack of playing time at the club.
"I will be speaking to him about my situation," said Johnson.
"There's been no bust-up. But I think what happened to me at City last season was why I missed out at the Euros."
Mancini said: "Adam deserves to play because he is a good player, but it is not easy for me because I can only have 11 in my team. Every player who doesn't play is frustrated. I can understand that.
"I will talk to him about what will happen now, but it is difficult to let him go because I need to have all my players at this moment.
"When we start the Champions League, we hope to be playing a game every three days for 10 months, so it is not easy to decide about Adam."
More from Sunderland AFC
- PFA Warning For Sunderland Boss Paolo Di Canio After Players' Complaint
- Tyne And Wear Football Team Of The Season: What Do You Think?
- Have Your Say: Sunderland AFC Fans' Survey 2013
- 'Psycho Drama Queen': Phil Bardsley's Girlfriend's Twitter Attack On SAFC Boss Di Canio
- Sunderland Boss Di Canio Criticises Phil Bardsley Over Casino Pictures
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland In For Striker Charlie Austin?
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland May Miss Out On Danny Rose
- Spurs 1 - 0 Sunderland: Bale Brilliance Sinks Paolo Di Canio's Side
Related tags: Sport
- Sky Sources: West Ham And Liverpool Agree Fee For Andy Carroll
- Have Your Say: Newcastle United Fans' Survey 2013
- Newcastle 0 - 1 Arsenal: Final Day Defeat As Steve Harper Says Goodbye
- Lance Armstrong's Life Story Trampled Underfoot In Newcastle
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Confident Over Future
- Yorkshire Bank 40: Durham Lose To Hampshire By Five Wickets
- Paolo Di Canio: Sunderland Would Have Gone Down Without Me
- Transfer Talk: Simon Mignolet's Agent Rubbishes Talk Of A Move
Related tags: Football
Related tags: Sunderland
- Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland Preview: SAFC To Play With 'Dignity'
- Paolo Di Canio Fires Holiday Threat At Sunderland Squad
- Sunderland Safe From Relegation: Reaction From Ex Player and Fanzines
- SAFC Boss Di Canio On Connor Wickham Frustration: I Have To Slap His Face
- Sunderland's Alfred N'Diaye Impressed By Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet
- Sunderland 1 - 1 Southampton: Di Canio Hails Important Point Against 'Better' Saints