Steven Fletcher’s agent has told Sky Tyne and Wear that he is waiting to hear from Wolverhampton Wanderers over a bid from Sunderland for the striker.
Sunderland’s offer is believed to be in the region of £10m which is around the price suggested Wolves would want for Fletcher.
Scott Fisher says that he understands a bid has been tabled for his client. But Wolves have yet to respond to the offer.
And chief executive at Molineux, Jez Moxey, has told reporters that the club's best players, including Fletcher, are "not for sale".
When asked if the Scottish striker, 25, would like to move to Sunderland, Fisher said:
“Why not? We’ve always carefully managed where Steven goes next and I think that Martin O’Neill would get the best out of him.”
Fisher explained that O’Neill has long been an admirer of Fletcher and watched him develop during his time in Scotland.
O’Neill managed Glasgow Celtic while Fletcher came to prominence at Hibernian prior to his move south to Burnley for £3m.
Video: Marco Gabbiadini on why Sunderland should sign Steven Fletcher
He then moved to Wolves in the summer of 2010 for £6.5m and scored 22 league goals over two seasons at Molineux before they were relegated at the end of last season.
O’Neill’s former side Aston Villa are also rumoured to be interested in Fletcher, but are yet to make an offer to sign him.
Fletcher’s former club Burnley would be due 15 per cent of any profit that Wolves made on Fletcher.
But, the Express and Star have reported that Wolves Chief Executive Jez Moxey has issued a ‘hands-off’ warning to any club's considering bids for Wolves players.
Moxey is quoted as saying: “Our best players are not for sale; we want to keep them and build the strongest possible team for the season ahead.
“We will do everything we can to retain the players we want to keep and continue to look to strengthen with new signings.”
- Sky Sources: Sunderland Made Bid For Fletcher
- Transfer Talk: O'Neill Patient Over Signings
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Need To Dig Deep For Fletcher
More from Sunderland AFC
- Still All To Play For At Sunderland Says Andrea Dossena
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Thriller At Stadium Of Light But Poyet’s Side Left With Nothing
- Sunderland Head Coach Poyet: We Could Not Do More Against Chelsea
- Cheer Up Jose Mourinho, Oh What Can It Mean...? Fan Snaps Selfie With Chelsea Boss In Durham
- Augsburg Return Unlikely For Sunderland Striker Ji Dong-Won
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Target Berisha Wanted By Arsenal And Man United
- Sunderland v Chelsea: Premier League Preview
- Sunderland Will Be Adding To Squad In January Says Boss Gus Poyet
Related tags: Sport
- Exclusive: Kostas Manolas On Newcastle United Transfer Link
- Durham’s Ben Stokes Makes Test Debut For England In Second Ashes Test
- Swansea City 3-0 Newcastle United: Winning Run Comes To An End In South Wales
- Malcolm MacDonald: Simple 4-4-2 Formation Has Been Key To Newcastle United's Winning Run
- Swansea City v Newcastle United: Premier League Preview
- Yoan Gouffran Is Enjoying Life At Newcastle United
- Steven Fletcher: I Must Score More Goals
- Mannone: Confidence Is Up And Sunderland Look Much More Solid
Related tags: Football
Related tags: Sunderland
- Aston Villa 0 - 0 Sunderland: Second Away Point Of Season For Sunderland
- Return Of The Killer Christmas Tree: Spruce With The Juice Is Back - Tonight!
- Sunderland Must Improve Away Form Says Head Coach Gus Poyet
- Aston Villa v Sunderland: Premier League Preview
- Sunderland Loan Defender Scott Harrision To Bury