Sunderland have bolstered their youth ranks with the signing of Darlington's David Ferguson and Wade Joyce from Bury.
Both players joined Sunderland on trial at the end of last season, impressing development chief Kevin Ball.
Now the pair have been handed permanent deals with the Premier League club.
"David was at Darlington last year and we had the opportunity to bring him in for a few weeks towards the end of the season," Ball told safc.com.
"He impressed us as a staff enough to offer him a contract and he's really hungry and a local lad.
"David is a fit boy who looks after himself and this is a great opportunity for him. As the cliché goes, he needs to grab the opportunity with both hands and must make sure he does that.
"Wade came up on trial as well and again did enough to impress the staff and earn a contract. We look forward to working with him too."
Sunderland also confirmed new deals for a clutch of their current youth side, with Jordan Pickford, Anthony Callaghan, Jordan Laidler, Adam Mitchell and Connor Oliver all signing professional deals and will report for training on Monday.
More from Sunderland AFC
- Sunderland Sign David Moberg Karlsson From IFK Goteborg
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Linked With Move For Argentinian Lucas Orban
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Make Matej Vydra Loan Bid
- Steven Fletcher Fitness Boost For Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio
- Newcastle And Sunderland's 2013/14 League Fixtures Announced
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
- Liverpool In Talks To Sign Sunderland Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet
Related tags: Sport
- Derek Llambias Quits Newcastle United Role: Live Blog
- Derek Llambias Resigns From Role As Managing Director At Newcastle United
- West Ham Sign Former Newcastle United Striker Andy Carroll For Club Record Fee
- Newcastle United Boss Alan Pardew Leads The Premier League Sack Race
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew: I'm Going Nowhere
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle United Pulled Out Of Douglas Deal By Joe Kinnear
- Free Travel Offered To Away Fans On Derby Day
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
Related tags: Football
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
- Sky Sources: Andy Carroll To Undergo West Ham Medical
Related tags: Sunderland
- Sunderland Boss Di Canio To Fine Overweight Players
- Transfer Talk: Liverpool Closing On Deal For Sunderland's Simon Mignolet
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Target Abel Hernandez Set For Palermo Stay
- Transfer Talk: English Interest Mounts In Sunderland Target Abel Hernandez
- No Plastic Mags Allowed: Sunderland Memorabilia Collector Shows Off 'Beach Ball' Match Ball
- Thursday's Newcastle Transfer News: Bent Move Doubtful, Cabaye Chase Hots Up
- Thursday's Sunderland Transfer News: Mignolet Nears Exit, Another Striker Linked
- Sunderland Transfer Policy Worries Former Scout Pop Robson