Sunderland goalkeeper Craig Gordon has won the Best Save category in the Premier League’s 20 Seasons Awards.
His incredible save in Sunderland’s home match against Bolton Wanderers in December 2010 was voted the best ever in a Premier League poll of more than 300,000 football fans from around the world.
He polled more than 18 percent of the vote.
He said: "To come out on top is fantastic and it really is a top honour, a highlight of my career."
The save was made in first-half stoppage time during Sunderland's 1-0 victory after a corner was flung in from the Bolton right and headed into the six-yard box by Gary Cahill, with Zat Knight striking from point-blank range.
Gordon showed "staggering reflexes and wonderful athleticism" to stick out his left hand and deflect the ball over his crossbar.
The two runners up were Peter Schmeichel, Newcastle v Manchester United December 1997 and Jussi Jaaskelainen, Manchester United v Bolton Wanderers October 2001.
Gordon, who has been out with injury for much of the season, said: "At the time I didn't really know how I managed to keep the ball out and turn it over the bar.
"I managed to flick it upwards and get a bit of spin on it as well which somehow managed to get the ball over the bar.
"Saves like that don't happen very often but when they do come off it can look quite spectacular."
Best Save is the fourth award to be announced as part of the Premier League's 20 Seasons celebrations, designed to honour the best efforts of players and managers over two decades.
More from Sunderland AFC
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
- Liverpool In Talks To Sign Sunderland Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet
- Sunderland Boss Di Canio To Fine Overweight Players
- Transfer Talk: Liverpool Closing On Deal For Sunderland's Simon Mignolet
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Target Abel Hernandez Set For Palermo Stay
- Transfer Talk: English Interest Mounts In Sunderland Target Abel Hernandez
- No Plastic Mags Allowed: Sunderland Memorabilia Collector Shows Off 'Beach Ball' Match Ball
Related tags: Sport
- Free Travel Offered To Away Fans On Derby Day
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
- Sky Sources: Andy Carroll To Undergo West Ham Medical
- Kinnear's Transfer Dealings: 54 Players Signed - But No Frenchmen
- Newcastle Confirm Appointment Of Director Of Football Joe Kinnear
- Late Bid For Carroll? Kinnear's Newcastle Striker Hunt
- Joe Kinnear: I'm More Intelligent Than Newcastle United Fans
Related tags: Football
- Steven Taylor Backs Joe Kinnear's Newcastle Return
- Joe Kinnear: Newcastle Must Strengthen For Europe
- Joe Kinnear: Listen To Sky Sports News Interview In Full
- Newcastle United's Yohan Cabaye Not For Sale Says Joe Kinnear
- Alan Pardew 'Undermined' By 'Pointless' Kinnear Appointment
- Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye: Monaco Transfer 'Might Interest Everyone'
Related tags: Sunderland
- Thursday's Newcastle Transfer News: Bent Move Doubtful, Cabaye Chase Hots Up
- Thursday's Sunderland Transfer News: Mignolet Nears Exit, Another Striker Linked
- Sunderland Transfer Policy Worries Former Scout Pop Robson
- SAFC Sign El-Hadji Ba: Are These The Faces Of The New Transfer Policy?
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Set To Make Guilavogui Bid
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chasing Livorno Striker Paulinho
- Wednesday's Sunderland Transfer News: Fourth Signing In, Could Four More Follow?
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle And Sunderland To Do Battle Over Inter Midfielder Joel Obi