More than 400 students at Gateshead College were given a sporting masterclass by Olympic icon Dame Kelly Holmes and 2012 gold medal-winning boxer Nicola Adams.
It was the first session of a new programme, Kelly Holmes Education, offering sport academy students the chance to be coached and mentored by some of the country's leading athletes.
Running throughout the academic year, it features modules on the physical, physiological, emotional, psychological and social aspects of sport.
Dame Kelly said: "The main reason why I chose Gateshead was I felt it was a really proactive academy, they were really passionate about helping their young people in life and in sport.
"I'm very hands-on and a bit of a perfectionist and a control freak so I'll be in and out this week making sure it's all going right."
Gateshead College Principal Richard Thorold said: "It will enhance our reputation as the pre-eminent further education sports college in the north, if not in the country."
- Dame Kelly Holmes Trains Future Olympians In Gateshead
- Great North CityGames Complete 'Perfect Summer Of Sport'
More from Sport
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day One
- Sunderland End Of Season Stat Attack: SAFC Had Premier League's Most Accurate Finisher
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Backed By Board
- Transfer Talk: San Lorenzo Still Hope To Sign Newcastle United's Fabricio Coloccini
- Sunderland's Titus Bramble Tweets Goodbye To Club And Teammates
- Changing Lives Through Football: Homeless FA Comes To Sunderland
- Newcastle United No To Signing Andy Carroll
- Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio Happy With Transfer Team Effort