With only days to go until the Great North Run our reporter India Adams picked up some last minute training tips in preparation for the big day.
Emma Foley, a personal trainer at David Lloyd gym in South Gosforth, Newcastle, put India through her paces, giving her advice on training and nutrition.
She said: “It’s important to do a mixture of training when preparing for a half marathon.
“Interval training is great for building up fitness. You can start by just doing ten minutes of running, broken down into two-minute blocks.
“So, running at a steady pace for two minutes, then running fast for two minutes. This gets you working anaerobically, building speed and strength.”
Emma also stressed the importance of nutrition when taking part in a long-distance run.
She said: “It’s important to eat the right foods, as this is the fuel for your body.
“On the morning of the run, it’s advisable to eat around three hours before you begin.
“Something like porridge with some berries and chopped almonds or Brazil nuts is perfect.
“On runs longer than 90 minutes, some runners like to have energy gels or jelly beans, something high in sugar to give the body a boost of energy.
“Eating a banana shortly before the run is something that might give the body that extra kick.”
The Bupa Great North Run is one of the most talked about events of the year and almost everyone who takes part has their own story to tell. We want to hear you stories.
Click here to read the stories we've received so far.
If you are running in memory of someone close, or simply because you want to help a good cause, send us your picture and story by clicking here and we'll feature it in our "I'm Running For..." page with your fundraising link.
You will then be automatically entered into our “I’m Running For...” competition to win a three month ‘all inclusive’ top membership package at David Lloyd to help you stay fitter for longer.
- On The Road To The Great North Run: A Training Diary
- Your Amazing Bupa Great North Run Stories: Promote Your Great Cause
- Who Are You Running For In The Bupa Great North Run?
- New Twins Leave Mo Farah Too Tired For The Great North Run
- Gold Medallists To Start Bupa Great North Run
- Bupa Great North 10K Link
- Super Charity Runner Joins Bupa Great North 10K
More from Sport
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day One
- Sunderland End Of Season Stat Attack: SAFC Had Premier League's Most Accurate Finisher
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Backed By Board
- Transfer Talk: San Lorenzo Still Hope To Sign Newcastle United's Fabricio Coloccini
- Sunderland's Titus Bramble Tweets Goodbye To Club And Teammates
- Changing Lives Through Football: Homeless FA Comes To Sunderland
- Newcastle United No To Signing Andy Carroll
- Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio Happy With Transfer Team Effort