Sky sources understand Sunderland are lining up a move for Blackburn defender Scott Dann, but could face competition from rivals Newcastle.
Black Cats boss Martin O'Neill is keen to improve his defensive options with key man Wes Brown facing an injury lay-off and has identified Dann as the man to fill the gap.
The 25-year-old centre-back has suffered back-to-back relegations with Birmingham and Blackburn but has maintained an impressive reputation and is keen to stay in the top flight.
Sunderland are willing to put together a bid of £5million for the Liverpool-born player but will face competition for his signature.
Norwich, Southampton and Newcastle are all believed to be prepared to offer the former England under-21 international another opportunity in the Premier League.
Dann has three years remaining on his contract at Ewood Park and Rovers will be looking to recoup the reported £6m fee they paid Birmingham back in August 2011.
- Bridgey's Blog: Playing For A Move
- Transfer Tweets: Latest News From Newcastle And Sunderland - Join In Using #STWTransfers
More from Sport
- Transfer Talk: Reported Sunderland Target Mbokani Hoping For Premier League Move
- Sky Sources: West Ham And Liverpool Agree Fee For Andy Carroll
- PFA Warning For Sunderland Boss Paolo Di Canio After Players' Complaint
- Tyne And Wear Football Team Of The Season: What Do You Think?
- Have Your Say: Newcastle United Fans' Survey 2013
- Have Your Say: Sunderland AFC Fans' Survey 2013
- 'Psycho Drama Queen': Phil Bardsley's Girlfriend's Twitter Attack On SAFC Boss Di Canio
- Sunderland Boss Di Canio Criticises Phil Bardsley Over Casino Pictures