The Great Britain Women’s football team have former Sunderland player Steph Houghton to thank for their victory over New Zealand in the opening game of the 2012 Olympics.
Houghton’s goal came midway through the second half from a free-kick.
In scoring, she becomes the first ever woman to score for Team GB at the Olympkcs.
Hope Powell’s dominated most of the match that took place in Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium.
Another former Sunderland player also appeared as Jill Scott also played in the match.
More from Sport
- PFA Warning For Sunderland Boss Paolo Di Canio After Players' Complaint
- Tyne And Wear Football Team Of The Season: What Do You Think?
- Have Your Say: Newcastle United Fans' Survey 2013
- Have Your Say: Sunderland AFC Fans' Survey 2013
- 'Psycho Drama Queen': Phil Bardsley's Girlfriend's Twitter Attack On SAFC Boss Di Canio
- Sunderland Boss Di Canio Criticises Phil Bardsley Over Casino Pictures
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland In For Striker Charlie Austin?
- Newcastle 0 - 1 Arsenal: Final Day Defeat As Steve Harper Says Goodbye