Sky Sports understands Newcastle United and Sunderland target Vurnon Anita has informed Ajax he wants to leave the club.
Both clubs have been chasing the Dutch international and reports suggest Newcastle have already seen one bid in the region of £5million rejected for his services.Aja
Ajax are reluctant to lose the 23-year-old and are thought to be holding out for a fee of £8million for the midfielder.
Anita is keen to make the move to the Premier League and is hoping Newcastle can strike a deal with Ajax.
Anita is understood to have held talks with Ajax's new sporting director Marc Overmars on Tuesday and has told the club that he wants to move on.
The news is a boost for Newcastle as they look to secure the signing of Anita and they hope his request to leave will speed up his possible arrival on either Tyne or Wearside.
- Andy Carroll Wants Newcastle Return But Is Worried About Fans' Reaction
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle United Bid For FC Twente's Douglas
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Closing In On Midfield Target
- Cuellar: Darren Bent Talked Up Sunderland
Should Anita choose Newcastle or Sunderland?
More from Sport
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day One
- Sunderland End Of Season Stat Attack: SAFC Had Premier League's Most Accurate Finisher
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Backed By Board
- Transfer Talk: San Lorenzo Still Hope To Sign Newcastle United's Fabricio Coloccini
- Sunderland's Titus Bramble Tweets Goodbye To Club And Teammates
- Changing Lives Through Football: Homeless FA Comes To Sunderland
- Newcastle United No To Signing Andy Carroll
- Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio Happy With Transfer Team Effort