Will Jolley combines an intensive final year studying Marine Zoology at Newcastle University and training for Olympic qualification.
He spends 20 hours each week in the swimming pool towards Olympic qualification in his favoured 1,500 metres freestyle event aiming to take a place at this summer’s games.
Will is in his third year at University and has little time in his life for anything other than swimming and study.
He hopes to not only represent Great Britain at the London 2012 games but at 21 years old also has an eye on the 2016 games in Rio.
And with the trials for this year’s games coming up he is abstaining from any food or drink that could inhibit his performance in the pool.
Will told Sky Tyne and Wear: “Alcohol is a no as are refined sugars so sweets and such are totally out.
“It does mean I’m not able to really live the typical student’s life but I’m totally focused on what I want to achieve and representing my country is my dream.”
More from Other Sport
- Simonside Challenge Soapbox Derby: Wacky Races In Northumberland
- Fasten Your Seatbelts: Rally Event Aims To Bring Motorsport To Sunderland
- Aussie Rules Comes To Newcastle: Meet The North East's First AFL Team
- Perri Shakes-Drayton To Captain Team GB At Gateshead
- My Grandad's Harder Than Yours: Meet The 63-Year-Old South Shields Judo Master
- From Ryhope To Rio: Meet The Young Sunderland Swimmer With Olympic Ambitions
- Jumping To It: First Belsay Horse Trials Leap Into Action
- Downhill Delight: Europa Cup Slalom Champion Skier Dave Ryding Visits Sunderland
Related tags: Sport
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Free Travel Offered To Away Fans On Derby Day
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
- Sky Sources: Andy Carroll To Undergo West Ham Medical
- Kinnear's Transfer Dealings: 54 Players Signed - But No Frenchmen
- Newcastle Confirm Appointment Of Director Of Football Joe Kinnear
Related tags: Other
- Lance Armstrong's Life Story Trampled Underfoot In Newcastle
- Sky Ride Comes To NewcastleGateshead In Summer Of 2013: Get Your Bikes Out
- Ready To Welcome Europe: Christine Ohuruogu Visits Gateshead Ahead Of International Games
- Marathon Mistake: Only One Competitor In Marathon Of The North Completed Full Distance
- Running Properly? Tips On Technique From Newcastle Fitness Instructors
- Marathon Of The North: Boston Bombing Victims Honoured
- Marathon Of The North Up And Running
- Boxing Highlights: Jon-Lewis Dickinson Defends British Cruiserweight Title For Second Time