Former Sunderland player Steph Houghton scored the only goal of the game as Team GB’s Women’s team beat Brazil.
In front of over 70,000 people at Wembley, Houghton’s goal in the second minute was enough to see Team GB qualify for the quarter-final.
The former Sunderland Women’s team player has now scored in each of Team GB’s three games so far at this year’s tournament.
Her goal came after Karen Carney squirmed away from two markers and crossed for Houghton who rounded Brazilian goalkeeper Andreia and scored from an acute angle.
Another former Sunderland player, Jill Scott, also started and played the whole match.
Brazil had chances to equalise and came close as defender Alex Scott headed against her own post under pressure from Brazilian star Marta.
Hope Powell’s side also had the chance to extend their lead through a penalty but Kelly Smith's kick was saved by Andreia.
But, Team GB held on for a win that means they will play Canada in the last-eight of the competition at City of Coventry Stadium on Friday August 4.
- Ex Sunderland Players Scott And Houghton Star For Team GB
- Former Sunderland Player Houghton Stars For Team GB
- Follow The North East's Athletes At The Olympics
More from Other Sport
- Lance Armstrong's Life Story Trampled Underfoot In Newcastle
- Sky Ride Comes To NewcastleGateshead In Summer Of 2013: Get Your Bikes Out
- Ready To Welcome Europe: Christine Ohuruogu Visits Gateshead Ahead Of International Games
- Marathon Mistake: Only One Competitor In Marathon Of The North Completed Full Distance
- Running Properly? Tips On Technique From Newcastle Fitness Instructors
- Marathon Of The North: Boston Bombing Victims Honoured
- Marathon Of The North Up And Running
- Boxing Highlights: Jon-Lewis Dickinson Defends British Cruiserweight Title For Second Time
Related tags: Sport
- Sunderland's Ahmed Elmohamady Keen On Hull Stay
- Sunderland's N'Diaye Backs Paolo Di Canio's Approach
- Newcastle's Steven Taylor Hopes Captain Coloccini Stays
- Newcastle Target Aubameyang Urged To Join Anzhi Makhachkala
- Altrincham Striker Joins Sunderland Development Squad
- Ryan Donaldson Leaves Gateshead For Cambridge United
- RFU Championship Playoff Final First Leg: Bedford Blues 9-18 Newcastle Falcons
- Is Alan Pardew Still The Right Man For The Job At Newcastle United? Opinion Poll
Related tags: Other
- Jon-Lewis Dickinson And Glenn Foot Wow The Crowds At Rainton Meadows Arena
- Geordie Racer: Matt Bell Gearing Up For New Motorsport Season
- Newcastle Gymnastics Prodigy Tulani Hlalo Competes At British Championships
- Team GB Athlete Perri Shakes-Drayton Comes To Gateshead...And Raps
- Sky Sports Living For Sport North East Winner: Emma Barnwell
- Weightlifting For Girls: North East Club Fighting 'Massive Misconceptions'
- Futsal Gets North East Foothold: Dean Gordon Launches Sunderland League
- Boxing Is His Business: Mark Clauzel's Life In And Out Of The Ring