Sunderland Cricket Club’s North East Premier League title challenge took a surprising knock against lowly Tynemouth.
The Wearsiders were bowled out at Ashbrooke for just 72 runs by the side now third bottom in the table.
The away side reached 73 losing six wickets in a game disrupted by frequent showers.
Tynemouth captain Chris Smith said: “Absolutely fantastic, it was good that we got the winning runs quite quickly.”
He led his team to a cup win against new table toppers Blaydon last week and sees similarities with this win.
“It was exactly the same situation I think they thought they were going to roll us over.
"We sort of play without any pressure in games like that.”
The Sunderland captain made no excuses for his side's second league defeat in a row.
Dan Shurben said: “We’ve let ourselves down as a batting unit, it is very disappointing again.”
- New Form Of Cricket Comes To Tyneside
- Newcastle v Benwell: A Different Take On Cricket
- Premier League Cricket: South North Beat Sunderland
- Premier League Cricket: The Damp Squib Tyneside Derby
Who will win the NEPL this year?
More from Other Sport
- Simonside Challenge Soapbox Derby: Wacky Races In Northumberland
- Fasten Your Seatbelts: Rally Event Aims To Bring Motorsport To Sunderland
- Aussie Rules Comes To Newcastle: Meet The North East's First AFL Team
- Perri Shakes-Drayton To Captain Team GB At Gateshead
- My Grandad's Harder Than Yours: Meet The 63-Year-Old South Shields Judo Master
- From Ryhope To Rio: Meet The Young Sunderland Swimmer With Olympic Ambitions
- Jumping To It: First Belsay Horse Trials Leap Into Action
- Downhill Delight: Europa Cup Slalom Champion Skier Dave Ryding Visits Sunderland
Related tags: Sport
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Free Travel Offered To Away Fans On Derby Day
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
- Sky Sources: Andy Carroll To Undergo West Ham Medical
- Kinnear's Transfer Dealings: 54 Players Signed - But No Frenchmen
- Newcastle Confirm Appointment Of Director Of Football Joe Kinnear
Related tags: Other
- Lance Armstrong's Life Story Trampled Underfoot In Newcastle
- Sky Ride Comes To NewcastleGateshead In Summer Of 2013: Get Your Bikes Out
- Ready To Welcome Europe: Christine Ohuruogu Visits Gateshead Ahead Of International Games
- Marathon Mistake: Only One Competitor In Marathon Of The North Completed Full Distance
- Running Properly? Tips On Technique From Newcastle Fitness Instructors
- Marathon Of The North: Boston Bombing Victims Honoured
- Marathon Of The North Up And Running
- Boxing Highlights: Jon-Lewis Dickinson Defends British Cruiserweight Title For Second Time