A new boxing gym has opened in Dunston thanks to grants and hours of free labour.
Ford Parts Dunston and Teams Amateur Boxing Club revamped a tired building in an industrial estate.
A £49,718 grant from Sport England and £10,000 from Thomas Cook Charities helped fund the project.
The job was three weeks from completion when they ran out of money but contractors worked unpaid to finish the project.
EH Joinery, DMG Electrical Services and NESTO plumbers joined forces to help the club.
Club chairman Ian Purvis, who inherited the role from his father-in-law Ernie Blenkiron, wished to thank the hard work.
He said: “Everyone has been really generous, just look at John Jobbling.
“He was unemployed and came in everyday since February, now he’s got a job with the council because of this.”
The building is owned by Ford Parts who have agreed a three year rent relief.
- Sunderland Boxer's New Business Partner
- Title Fights At The Stadium Of Light
- Jeffries Fighting For Boxing Career
- Jake 'Raging Bull' LaMotta's Career Highlights
How important is boxing to local communities?
More from Other Sport
- Lance Armstrong's Life Story Trampled Underfoot In Newcastle
- Sky Ride Comes To NewcastleGateshead In Summer Of 2013: Get Your Bikes Out
- Ready To Welcome Europe: Christine Ohuruogu Visits Gateshead Ahead Of International Games
- Marathon Mistake: Only One Competitor In Marathon Of The North Completed Full Distance
- Running Properly? Tips On Technique From Newcastle Fitness Instructors
- Marathon Of The North: Boston Bombing Victims Honoured
- Marathon Of The North Up And Running
- Boxing Highlights: Jon-Lewis Dickinson Defends British Cruiserweight Title For Second Time
Related tags: Sport
- Newcastle 0 - 1 Arsenal: Final Day Defeat As Steve Harper Says Goodbye
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Confident Over Future
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland May Miss Out On Danny Rose
- Yorkshire Bank 40: Durham Lose To Hampshire By Five Wickets
- Spurs 1 - 0 Sunderland: Bale Brilliance Sinks Paolo Di Canio's Side
- Paolo Di Canio: Sunderland Would Have Gone Down Without Me
- Transfer Talk: Simon Mignolet's Agent Rubbishes Talk Of A Move
- Danny Simpson Confirms Newcastle Exit
Related tags: Other
- Jon-Lewis Dickinson And Glenn Foot Wow The Crowds At Rainton Meadows Arena
- Geordie Racer: Matt Bell Gearing Up For New Motorsport Season
- Newcastle Gymnastics Prodigy Tulani Hlalo Competes At British Championships
- Team GB Athlete Perri Shakes-Drayton Comes To Gateshead...And Raps
- Sky Sports Living For Sport North East Winner: Emma Barnwell
- Weightlifting For Girls: North East Club Fighting 'Massive Misconceptions'
- Futsal Gets North East Foothold: Dean Gordon Launches Sunderland League
- Boxing Is His Business: Mark Clauzel's Life In And Out Of The Ring