MTV’s Geordie Shore is back on our screens for the second series.
And to mark the occasion the cast are launching a kebab-scented fragrance on the back of their spoof L’eau De Geordie perfume ad.
But not everyone is happy to see the show’s return.
The first series hit the headlines in the summer of 2011 after scenes of binge drinking and wild antics sparked controversy among viewers across the country.
Newcastle Central MP Chi Onwurah has condemned the programme for promoting irresponsible alcohol use.
She said: “Geordie Shore is not representative of Newcastle or Geordies, or young people.
“It is constructed reality designed to maximise exposure in every possible way.
“If people feel that the show does not represent Newcastle they should complain to Ofcom and I would encourage people to do so.
“Equally if the participants decide at any point in the future that they would prefer their drunken behaviour had not been broadcast to the nation, they may have a case with Ofcom.”
Geordie Shore’s James Tindale defended the show, saying: “No matter who you go out with, if you were to follow them round with a camera they’d be doing exactly the same thing.
“All these people that are kicking up a fuss about it, I guarantee their sons, daughter and young relatives are doing exactly the same thing, it’s just that they don’t know about it.”
Cllr Nick Forbes, Leader of Newcastle City Council, said: “In spite of the programme coming back for a second series, I’m confident that memories of Geordie Shore will fade much faster than some of the fake tans of its participants.”
Geordie Shore series two begins on January 31 2012 at 10pm on MTV.
More from News
- Shoe Mirror Peeping Tom Caught 'Perving' On Woman At Swimming Baths
- Residents’ Heartbreak As Sunderland Estate Floods Again
- Extra Police Patrols After Woman Is Raped Near Newcastle College
- Lance Armstrong's Life Story Trampled Underfoot In Newcastle
- LIVE BLOG: Flood Alert For Newcastle Quayside And Severe Weather Warning
- LIVE BLOG HTML: Flood Alert For Newcastle Quayside And Severe Weather Warning
- Kung Fu, Tai Chi And Karate Masters The Shaolin Warriors Wow Wearside
- Newcastle Chinatown Waiters High Kicked Troublemakers 'Like Bruce Lee Extras'