A model who was raped and left for dead in Magaluf has returned to Spain to face her attacker in court.
Cheryl Maddison moved from Houghton-le-Spring to Majorca for work but days after she arrived she was raped and stabbed after being followed home.
She suffered multiple stab wounds and a collapsed lung, and the attack only came to an end when she pretended to be dead.
A neighbour heard her cries but thought it was a couple having an argument so chose not to call the police.
The 25-year-year collapsed outside her apartment in a pool of her own blood following the attack.
Moroccan waiter Mohamed Fadel el Anssari, 31, is alleged to have raped the 25-year-old before stabbing her and leaving her for dead in May 2008.
Miss Maddison flew to the island this week to give evidence in court against the man accused of attacking her.
"I waived my right for anonymity four or five years ago when the event actually happened because there was so many stories going about that were not true, so I wanted to get the story put straight," she said on ITV's Daybreak programme.
"When I gave my statement there was a screen around me so he could not see me, and yesterday I was sat behind him so all I could see was the back of his head so I did not have to see him.
"After it first happened, the first year or two, it ruined my life, it changed the person who I was.
"I did my best to get back to my normal self and worked away and got my life back to normal and I am a stronger person than what I was before."
She explained that she went to court hoping to bring closure and that since the attack she has managed to move on and start a new and possibly better life.
"I have gone over for closure to see him prosecuted for as long as he can get, but also, if I'm here to make my statement, it's getting my point across better so any questions they need answering, I have been able to answer them," she said.
"I had to be here as I was summoned but I'm glad that I came.
"I have been with my partner for a year and I have totally moved on and I have my own life back. I always wanted to work abroad and I have managed to do that for two years so my life is totally back to normal, if not better."
Prosectors want Fadel jailed for 23 year - 12 for attempted murder and 11 for rape. The court has heard he confessed to police after his arrest, telling detectives: 'I am an evil man'.
He refused to answer questions about the attack in court and his defence lawyer is calling for his acquittal.
The judges will return their verdict in a written ruling at a later date.
- £3,000 Reward To Catch Whitley Bay Sex Attacker
- Whitley Bay Sex Attack Victim Goes Public
- Plea For Calm After Attack On Rape Suspect's Home
- Elswick Teenager Rape: Suspect's Family Cry In Court
More from News
- Evolution Festival Director Jim Mawdsley Talks Curry, Cocktails And Bikinis
- Armed Robber Targets Tyneside Post Office
- Coal Mining Elvis Impersonator Among Artist's Work On Post-War Tyneside
- Bud The Police Horse Punched After Tyne Wear Derby Returns To Newcastle For EDL Demo
- Car Park Capers: Nesting Seagull Picks Empty Bay At Train Station
- Fresh Start For Unemployed And Ex-Offenders At Charity Cafe
- People's Assembly: Owen Jones Rallies Anti-Cuts Support In Newcastle
- Cleaning The Tyne: Crew Back On River Rubbish Duty After Refit