These are the Farne Islands first ever twin seals.
David Steel from the National Trust was astounded when he realised the pregnant seal he had been keeping an eye on as part of his duties had produced two pups on Tuesday October 24.
Multiple births in grey seals are 'extremely rare' and there are no records of any having been born on the islands before.
The Farne Islands, in Northumberland, are famed for their huge seal colony and around 1,500 pups are born there each year.
David has worked closely with the seal colony for 12-years and his role involves monitoring the birth and mortality rates of the animals.
He said: "This is certainly a first for the Farne Islands and in fact could be a world first for grey seals.
"We had been keeping a close eye on the mother as she had been on her own for a while, and we knew she was about to give birth.
"I went down shortly after the birth and was amazed to see two baby seals, so I quickly took some pictures.
"I am currently talking to the Sea Mammal Research Unit, based at the University of St Andrews.
"Once the babies have had time to bond with their mother we will do a DNA test, to prove they are twins."
David and his colleagues will continue to keep a close eye on the family as females usually produce enough milk for just one pup.
Male seals have harems of around 50 and so do not tend to get too involved in the upbringing of their offspring.
David added: "As the mother has two mouths to feed, there is a chance there might not be enough food to go around, and if this is the case then we will step in and help.
"It is highly unusual for them to have to provide food for two babies."
The seal breeding season starts in September and ends in December, peaking in November.
- Getting Close To Newborn Pups: Farne Islands Seal Tours
- Playful Seal Distracts 15 People From Rising Tide
- Wild Otter Cubs Born At Jesmond Dene
- Unhappy Ending After Minke Whale Washed Up On Beach
- Video Nasty: Dive Bombing Rogue Seagull
- Sharp Exit: Baby Hedgehogs Survive The Floods
- Dolphins And Whales Of The North Sea
More from News
- Simonside Challenge Soapbox Derby: Wacky Races In Northumberland
- Fasten Your Seatbelts: Rally Event Aims To Bring Motorsport To Sunderland
- Police Release John 'The Badge' Roberts Reconstruction Video And Help Plea
- Meet The North East Beauty Queens Fighting For The Miss England Crown
- Tragedy To Triumph: Inspirational Story Of ‘Britain’s Best Groomed Man’
- Drugs Cash And Suspected Stolen Property Seized In Police Raids As 18 Arrested
- Petrol Attack On Newcastle Man In His Own Home
- From The Mouths Of Babes: The Truth About Toddler Talk