Six NATO warships are to call in on the Tyne and will be open to visitors.
The Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group consists of command and control ship BNS Godetia of the Belgian Navy and five mine hunters
These are ENS Sakala of Estonia, BNS Narcis of Belgium, FGS Fulda of Germany, HNLMS Willemstad of the Netherlands, and HNOMS Karmoey of Norway.
All six ships will go alongside at Spillers Wharf in Newcastle and will open to the public from 12 noon to 3pm on Saturday October 27 and Sunday October 28.
The task group has been engaged in training exercises off the UK, the main objective of which is the improvement of minehunting skills in different depths of water and seabed types.
The group’s Logistics Officer, Lieutenant Bart Cordy, said: "We will be pleased to open the upperdecks and bridge spaces of all of our ships at the weekend for visitors to see what we do and theequipment we use.
"We are also looking forward to having a few days off from exercising.
"The waters off the northern-England coastline between Tynemouth and Berwick-upon-Tweed are excellent training areasand offer many sea-bed types including mud, rock and sand all of which offer new challenges toimprove our mine-hunting skills.
"The coastline also offers a great number of wrecks and contacts for us to investigate, so thisarea gives us the best of both worlds, good training opportunities and a chance to visit one of ourfavourite ports, Newcastle-upon-Tyne."
- Bear Grylls' Giant Leap From Tyne Bridge
- Sold For Scrap: HMS Ark Royal To Become Tin Foil And Baked Bean Cans
- Sailors And Marines Race Fighting Ship 500 Miles Home
- Fighting Men And Women Of HMS Ocean In Freedom Parade
More from News
- Go Compare Advert Singing Chihuahua Stolen In Burglary
- Evolution Festival Director Jim Mawdsley Talks Curry, Cocktails And Bikinis
- Armed Robber Targets Tyneside Post Office
- Coal Mining Elvis Impersonator Among Artist's Work On Post-War Tyneside
- Bud The Police Horse Punched After Tyne Wear Derby Returns To Newcastle For EDL Demo
- Car Park Capers: Nesting Seagull Picks Empty Bay At Train Station
- Fresh Start For Unemployed And Ex-Offenders At Charity Cafe
- People's Assembly: Owen Jones Rallies Anti-Cuts Support In Newcastle