Fire crews have evacuated forty patients and staff from Sunderland Royal Hospital after 10ml of ammonia leaked from a fridge.
The ammonia was being stored in a drugs room on the sixth floor of the hospital.
Sixteen community firefighters and operational support officers from Millfield, Farringdon and Ryehill joined Sunderland fire crews at the scene.
The safety room was sealed off and the refridgerator was placed in a protective drum which was rinsed and decontaminated.
The leak created ammonia gas which fire crews spent sixty minutes clearing up, before staff and patients were allowed back in the hopsital.
- Hidden Fire Risks In Your Home
- 23-Mile Thankyou For Saving Baby Tilly's Life
- Chemical Leak At Royal Station Hotel
- Tyne Tunnel Puddles 'No Safety Hazard'
More from News
- Man Arrested After Rooftop Protest In Sunderland
- Northern Chords Festival Brings World's Best Classical Talent To Sage Gateshead
- Wallsend Man Attacked By Gang With Hammer And Baseball Bat
- Cleaning The Tyne: Crew Back On River Rubbish Duty After Refit
- Boss Faces Jail After Swan Hunter Shipyard Worker Killed By Falling Girder
- Former Newcastle Striker Joe Allon Launches Dementia Awareness Week
- 18 Sunderland Fans In Court Accused Of West Ham Match Day Violence
- Unsolved Crimes In South Tyneside: Police Release CCTV