Police made 13 arrests when a protest at the site of a recently-approved new mosque turned violent.
Around 200 people were involved in the demonstration on St Mark's Road, which saw members of far-right groups including the English Defence League clashing with anti-fascists and members of the Muslim community.
Scores of police armed with batons were called in as the disorder escalated, and a firecracker in a glass bottle was seen being thrown at officers.
Despite numerous objects hitting police officers and nearby homes, it is understood there were no injuries and no damage to property.
Two men both aged 32 have since been charged with being drunk and disorderly. They are both due to appear before Sunderland magistrates on October 26.
Eight men arrested on suspicion of public order offences and another three arrested on suspicion of affray have been bailed pending further enquires.
Police had to separate protesters during a previous event in August, but people living near the mosque site told Sky Tyne and Wear this had been the worst disorder so far.
One woman who did not want to be named said: "I'm worried for my baby mostly. I'm worried things could come through the windows if it gets violent.
Assistant Chief Constable Steve Ashman said: "It is disappointing that a protest that was planned as peaceful has resulted in arrests.
"We have a strong police presence in the area and this will continue in order to provide reassurance to the community.
"We will not tolerate any sort of disorder and those seen to be committing such offences will be arrested."
The National Front has pledged to make the demonstrations a monthly fixture, although supporters were asked not the bring NF flags to the event on pain of being removed by far-right organisers who said they would create the wrong impression.
Some residents told us it was worth the disruption if it meant the council might change the location of the planned mosque.
A number of residents are calling for the building to be used as a community centre, claiming that despite a public consultation, their views have not been considered.
Some Pakistani Muslims told Sky Tyne and Wear they needed the new mosque because they did not feel welcome in nearby Bangladeshi mosques.
A number of protesters among the far-right groups were not from Sunderland, with some travelling from Bradford and Edinburgh.
By 3pm police had led each opposing group away from Millfield in opposite directions and the road, which had been temporarily blocked off, was re-opened.
Plans to convert a former council transport depot into a new mosque were put forward in 2011 and approved by Sunderland City Council in August.
The application by the Pakistan Islamic Centre attracted almost 700 letters of objection and a petition of more than 1,400 signatures.
More from News
- Derek Llambias Resigns From Role As Managing Director At Newcastle United
- Newcastle United Boss Alan Pardew Leads The Premier League Sack Race
- Rihanna's Greatest Hits: Stadium Of Light Star Lashes Out At Clingy Fan
- Vintage Vehicles Tear Up The Dales In The 43rd Annual Beamish Run
- British Army Redundancies: North East Ex-Servicemen Speak Out
- Newcastle Fan Who Punched Police Horse Claims 'Self Defence'
- The Beggar Who Makes Up To £150 A Day On The Streets Of Newcastle
- Newcastle City Council Leader Nick Forbes: 'Cuts Made Me A Hate Figure'