Every year thousands of students from across the globe descend on Tyne and Wear to attend Newcastle, Sunderland and Northumbria Universities.
For many, getting to grips with the local lingo is all part of the fun and a must for any student hoping to fit in with their new surroundings.
But a strong regional accent can be difficult to understand especially to the untrained ear.
Sky Tyne and Wear took to the streets to find the top Geordie and Mackem phrases puzzling non-native students.
Click here for more information on Sunderland Students’ Union.
Click here for more information on Newcastle Students’ Union.
Click here for more information on Northumbria Students’ Union.
- £40,000 National Arts Prize At Northumbria University
- Graduate Lands Job With Abercrombie And Fitch
- A-Level Results Day Tweet Your Pictures To #alevels And See Our Live Blog
- How Playing World Of Warcraft Can Help Your Job Prospects
- Affordable Ultrasound Scanner Could Save Lives
- Identical Twins, Identical Degrees, Identical Jobs
- South Tyneside College Students Celebrate A-Level Success
More from News
- Simonside Challenge Soapbox Derby: Wacky Races In Northumberland
- Fasten Your Seatbelts: Rally Event Aims To Bring Motorsport To Sunderland
- Police Release John 'The Badge' Roberts Reconstruction Video And Help Plea
- Meet The North East Beauty Queens Fighting For The Miss England Crown
- Tragedy To Triumph: Inspirational Story Of ‘Britain’s Best Groomed Man’
- Drugs Cash And Suspected Stolen Property Seized In Police Raids As 18 Arrested
- Petrol Attack On Newcastle Man In His Own Home
- From The Mouths Of Babes: The Truth About Toddler Talk