More than 170 drivers have been fined for using bus lanes in Washington.
Since the beginning of May, police have handed out a total of 178 fixed penalty £30 fines to motorists flouting the law by driving on bus only routes.
Police have also issued two summons notices and made one arrest as part of the enforcement activity concentrated on all bus link sites.
A 22-year old man was arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice after false details were provided to police when being issued with a fixed penalty notice for a bus link contravention.
He was issued with a further fixed penalty notice for wasting police time as a result.
Washington Neighbourhood Inspector, Paul Stewart, said: "This should come as a stark warning to motorists who are continuing to ignore regulations around bus lanes that we won't hesitate to take action against you.
"While they may see this as just a quick way to negotiate traffic, drivers need to know they are breaking the law, not to mention creating a road safety issue which could result in a crash."
- Burlesque Beauties Need A New Driver
- Newcastle's Demba Ba Banned From Driving
- Former Sunderland Star Kieran Richardson Fined For Speeding
- Smashing Bit Of Driving: Car Crashes Through Hotel Window In Newcastle
More from News
- Shoe Mirror Peeping Tom Caught 'Perving' On Woman At Swimming Baths
- Residents’ Heartbreak As Sunderland Estate Floods Again
- Extra Police Patrols After Woman Is Raped Near Newcastle College
- Lance Armstrong's Life Story Trampled Underfoot In Newcastle
- LIVE BLOG: Flood Alert For Newcastle Quayside And Severe Weather Warning
- LIVE BLOG HTML: Flood Alert For Newcastle Quayside And Severe Weather Warning
- Kung Fu, Tai Chi And Karate Masters The Shaolin Warriors Wow Wearside
- Newcastle Chinatown Waiters High Kicked Troublemakers 'Like Bruce Lee Extras'