Emerging artists can apply for a major new national arts prize worth £40,000, thanks to the generosity of a former student at Northumbria University.
Keen art collector Mr Wee Teng Woon, a Northumbria Law graduate, lives in Singapore but has maintained strong links with the North East and still has a home in County Durham.
He is funding the prizes in memory of his family, including top prize the Woon Tai Jee Art Fellowship, a £20,000 bursary.
The Fellowship at the BxNU Institute for Contemporary Art at BALTIC 39 in Newcastle will give the winner access to dedicated studio space and a high profile, experienced mentor.
Mr Woon is offering two other major prizes, the Lim Ai Fang Art Prize worth £9,000 and the Cheong Kam Hee Art Prize worth £6,000.
Two consolation prizes valued at £3,000 and £2,000 will also awarded at the discretion of the judging panel.
The Woon Foundation Painting and Sculpture Art Prize is open to all final year undergraduate students of Fine Art in the UK.
“I wanted to set up an award for emerging artists that complements other major art prizes in the UK and supports their art practice, career and early professional development.”
Dr Heather Robson, Associate Dean in the Faculty of Arts, Design and Social Sciences at Northumbria, said: “This generous offer to emerging talent is a tremendous boost to the arts scene in the North East and will promote the region’s standing in the arts world as well as providing the winner with an unrivalled opportunity to work in a community of academics and artists at the BxNU Institute of Contemporary Art.”
Entries will be judged by a panel of regional, national and international artists, and all those shortlisted will be invited to take part in an exhibition at the University in summer 2013, when the winners will be announced.
The deadline for entries is 30 January 2013.
For more information, or to submit an application, contact Barry Nicholson, from the Region, Engagement and Partnerships Office, on (0191) 227 4651 or email email@example.com
The application form can be found by clicking here.
- BALTIC Art In The Heart Of Newcastle
- Angel Of The North Sculptor Gets Freedom Of Gateshead
- Honour For BALTIC Director
More from News
- Newcastle Primary Teachers Win Outstanding School Team Of The Year
- NE1’s Newcastle Fashion Week: Royal Wedding Catwalk
- Shannen Steinson Is Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013
- Tyne Tees Models Strut Their Stuff At Intu Eldon Square Fashion Show
- students mind
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Northumbria University Graduation Ball Illness Thought To Be Norovirus
- Pictures: Meet The Finalists Hoping To Be Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013