A top football writer will complete a forfeit and swim the width of the River Tyne after losing a bet with Twitter followers.
Daily Telegraph Football Correspondent Henry Winter is honouring the wager made two years ago, when he bet Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley would not keep manager Alan Pardew on a long-term basis.
When Pardew was signed on an eight-year contract Mr Winter tweeted: “I honour my bets. I promised to swim the Tyne if Ashley showed long-term loyalty to Pardew #nufc. He has, fair play, so time for dip in Tyne.”
He plans to complete the feat in aid of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation on Sunday October 7 at 11am.
He will take the plunge from Newcastle City Marina, the pontoon at the foot of the Tyne Bridge, and swim across to the Gateshead side, thanks to support from Port of Tyne, Northumbrian Water, NE1 and HMS Calliope.
Mr Winter is getting expert advice from experienced swimmer and organiser of the annual Tyne 10 Mile River Swim, Tony Greener from North Shields.
“I interviewed Sir Bobby many times over the years and his legacy lives on in so many ways.
“I am actually looking forward to it now.”
Port of Tyne has named its new dredger The Sir Bobby Robson and the boat will be on hand as Henry takes his forfeit ahead of Newcastle United’s home game against Manchester United.
Liz Luff from the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation said: “We’re very grateful that Henry has chosen to help fight cancer and support the charity with his swim.
“The Tyne is a dangerous tidal river and Henry’s receiving expert support to ensure his safety. The way people have pitched in to help is very touching and we love the idea that ‘Sir Bobby’ will be on hand as Henry makes his way across the river.
“There are much easier ways to cross the Tyne and I’m sure the shoppers at Newcastle’s Quayside Market will be fascinated by his swim on Sunday morning.
“Henry deserves great credit for honouring his bet and we wish him the very best of luck with his challenge.”
To donate and support Henry, click here
- True Faith Blog: Bordeaux Tie A Nice Break From The League
- Heartache For Cabbie Who Misses Out On £10k
- Newcastle Sweating On Defensive Duo
- Alan Shearer Test Drives New Maserati
- Cabbie's £10,000 Bet With Robbie Savage
More from News
- EDL And Anti-Fascists March Through Newcastle City Centre
- Ambulance Needed On Fitness Guru's South Shields Booze Blow Out
- Nile Ranger Sentenced To Unpaid Work For Assaulting Girlfriend
- New Appeal For Convicted Sister Killer After Prison 'Confession'
- Lucky The Lamb Home For Easter After Police Foil Sheep Theft
- Explosive Alliance: Live Ammunition Training For British And French Troops
- Soap Box Racing: Dare You Take On The Simonside Challenge?
- Meet Newcastle's Six-Year-Old Award Winning Musical Prodigy Leia Zhu