With shoplifting on the rise across the UK, one shameless thief tells Sky Tyne and Wear he has no regrets about his serial stealing.
Anthony Lynch from Sunderland admits he shoplifted for more than a decade and says retailers make it too easy for opportunistic thieves.
He said: “It’s so easy, you’d be a fool not to do it. Some shops don’t even alarm the clothes.
“I used to walk straight into the shop, put the clothes on and walk out. They’re idiots for leaving stuff lying around.
“I’m an opportunistic thief so if there was something worth stealing, I’d take it. Why pay for something that doesn’t need to be paid for?”
Since 2011, retailers own research has shown that stock losses are up by 10 percent, while in the Northumbria Police force area, shoplifting arrests have fallen overall from 2008 to 2011.
In South Shields, shoplifting prevention remains a priority and Operation Intrepid is targeting retail crime in the Borough.
Sgt Nick Gjorven, Neighbourhood Officer for South Shields town centre, said: “In August alone we had 55 arrests for shoplifting.
“We have a deter policy, using signage in shop windows warning away potential thieves and we have a strong partnership ethic with the Shop Watch scheme, sharing intelligence about well-known offenders.
“Using this policy, we’re estimated to have prevented around £80,000 worth of stock losses from stores in South Shields town centre.”
For more information on preventing shoplifting click here.
For advice and support with drug and alcohol addiction click here.
- Police Hunt Beef Joint Thieves
- Jonny Rotten: Police Are Hunting A Condom Thief Who Struck In Gateshead
- Traumatic Train Journeys: Cable Theft Causes More Than 360 Hours Of Misery
- Sticky-Fingered Thieves Steal Stamp Collection
More from News
- Coach Crash And Building Collapse: Terrorism And Disaster Live Exercise
- Rising Teen Star Kiki Lowe: Newcastle Schoolgirl Forging Music Career
- Foghorn Requiem: Lighthouse Tunes Up For Festival Of North East
- Lee Halpin Documentary Death: Friends Vow To Finish His Film
- Blistered Molly: Teachers By Day, Rockers By Night
- The Jessica Biel Look: Makeup Artist To The Stars Working On Wearside
- Has He Found Love? Catching Up With Undateables Star Steve Carruthers
- Rebuilding The Past: Historic Aircraft Resurrected On Tyneside