Benfield, the North East’s largest Motor Group, has been chosen by Maserati to operate its first official dedicated Maserati dealership in the UK.
The showroom in Heaton will sell both new and old models of the Italian luxury car.
It has already been visited by celebrities and footballers.
General Manager Dax Pearce said: "We have had one or two in already.
"We've had a range of people in here and so far we are pleased with progress."
Despite the North East having the highest unemployment rate in the country, the North East Chamber of Commerce said there was a market for luxury goods in the region.
NECC Head of Member relations Jonathan Walker said: "It's no surprise that [Maserati] have chosen to come here.
"Where we have seen growth in consumer spending, it's been at the top end, the slightly more well-off customers.
"That's not to say that people aren't struggling at the moment.
"We're often overlooked compared to some of the more cosmopolitan areas in London and the South East, but there are people up here willing to spend this kind of money."
More from News
- Newcastle Primary Teachers Win Outstanding School Team Of The Year
- NE1’s Newcastle Fashion Week: Royal Wedding Catwalk
- Shannen Steinson Is Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013
- Tyne Tees Models Strut Their Stuff At Intu Eldon Square Fashion Show
- students mind
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Northumbria University Graduation Ball Illness Thought To Be Norovirus
- Pictures: Meet The Finalists Hoping To Be Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013