Police have issued a warning for a dangerman prisoner on-the-run
Police are urgently appealing for information regarding the whereabouts of 34-year-old Bernard Lee Sharkey, who failed to return to Kirklevington Prison following work in the community.
He was last seen at Newham Grange Farm, Coulby Newham at 12.30pm on Thursday 23rd August.
Acting Superintendent Rob Donaghy said: "Information has come to light after he has gone missing that he may pose a risk to a known individual. That person has been contacted and measures put in place to ensure their safety. However it is important to stress we do not believe he poses a risk to the wider public.
"He does have convictions for violence and possession of an offensive weapon, so we would urge members of the public to call 999 if they see him and not to approach him.
"We believe he is likely to still be in the North East and my message would beto Bernard to hand yourself in. It’s not too late. It’s only a matter of time beforewe trace you, it is better for you to come to us, rather than us find you."
Sharkey was serving an indeterminate sentence for threats to kill, affray and possession of an offensive weapon.
He is described as five foot nine inches tall, with short cropped brown hair, blue eyes of proportionate build. He has a scar on the left hand side of his top lip and he has a Celtic band tattoo on his upper left arm.
He was last seen wearing a red striped polo shirt and grey jogging bottoms.
Bernard Sharkey has links with both the Grangetown and Morpeth areas, and police are warning members of the public not to approach him but to contact 999 immediately.
More from News
- 'Stolen Meat Reminded Me Of My Dead Gran': Court
- Changing Lives Through Football: Homeless FA Comes To Sunderland
- The Beggar Who Makes Up To £150 A Day On The Streets Of Newcastle
- Fresh Start For Unemployed And Ex-Offenders At Charity Cafe
- Breathtaking Views At Breakneck Speed: Zipwiring Over Sunderland
- People's Assembly: Owen Jones Rallies Anti-Cuts Support In Newcastle
- Newcastle End Of Season Stat Attack: NUFC Had Worst Defence And Dirtiest Player
- Sunderland Pensioner Could Be Jailed For Sex Attacks On Children