Drivers are facing severe traffic jams on roads in the west end of Newcastle after a lorry overturned on the Scotswood Bridge.
Queues are reported in both directions at the A695 Chain Bridge Road junction and on the A69.
The lorry driver has been taken to hospital.
The southbound lane of the road crossing the Scotswood Bridge will be closed for around six hours, to allow recovery crews to remove the overturned lorry.
The delays will cause problems for drivers attempting to reach the A1 and roads west.
Tweeting a picture of the overturned lorry and a police car, Laura Tingate said: "The reason for the ridiculous queues over Scotswood bridge."
Follow the Geordies tweeted: "Bridge closed due to an overturned lorry ... so best find another way home for tea :)"
A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "The Scotswood Bridge is closed in the south bound lane only.
"A heavy goods vehicle overturned on the bridge at around 2.15pm.
"The driver was taken to hospital with injuries not thought to be life threatening.
"The southbound lane is expected to be shut for up to six hours to allow the lorry to be recovered. The northbound lane remains open."
More from News
- Ambulance Needed On Fitness Guru's South Shields Booze Blow Out
- Nile Ranger Sentenced To Unpaid Work For Assaulting Girlfriend
- New Appeal For Convicted Sister Killer After Prison 'Confession'
- Lucky The Lamb Home For Easter After Police Foil Sheep Theft
- Explosive Alliance: Live Ammunition Training For British And French Troops
- Soap Box Racing: Dare You Take On The Simonside Challenge?
- Meet Newcastle's Six-Year-Old Award Winning Musical Prodigy Leia Zhu
- Violent Disorder By Newcastle United Fans In City Centre After Derby Defeat