New Sunderland striker Steven Fletcher is the latest big money signing for the Wearside club.
Ghanaian striker Asamoah Gyan completed a £13million switch to SAFC from French side Rennes just weeks after starring at the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa. Playing in shirt number 33, he scored on his Sunderland debut against Wigan Athletic.
England striker Darren Bent was signed from Tottenham Hotspur for £12million rising to £16million with sell on clauses. Bent scored 32 goals in 58 Premier League games for Sunderland. He was the first Sunderland player to score for England since Len Shackleton.
Sunderland broke a British transfer record for the fee paid for a goalkeeper when they signed Scotland International Craig Gordon for £9million. Gordon made his debut for Sunderland in the Premier League opening game against Tottenham hotspur, keeping a clean sheet.
Peter Reid paid a then club record £6.75million for Norwegian striker Tore Andre Flo from Rangers. Flo was one of Reid’s final signings before he was sacked after nearly eight years as Sunderland manager.
More from News
- Go Compare Advert Singing Chihuahua Stolen In Burglary
- Evolution Festival Director Jim Mawdsley Talks Curry, Cocktails And Bikinis
- Armed Robber Targets Tyneside Post Office
- Coal Mining Elvis Impersonator Among Artist's Work On Post-War Tyneside
- Bud The Police Horse Punched After Tyne Wear Derby Returns To Newcastle For EDL Demo
- Car Park Capers: Nesting Seagull Picks Empty Bay At Train Station
- Fresh Start For Unemployed And Ex-Offenders At Charity Cafe
- People's Assembly: Owen Jones Rallies Anti-Cuts Support In Newcastle