Australian expats who traded sunny Newcastle for rainy Gateshead have been hit by the summer superstorms.
Josh Neilson and Laura Van Eggmond returned home to find housemate Daniel Guilfoyle scooping buckets of water out of their house.
The torrential downpour on August 5 flooded their home on Eastbourne Avenue, leaving water gushing through the property.
23-year-old Daniel, who works as a chef at Babucho Bar on Newcastle Quayside, said he had no idea how to deal with the flooding.
"The lino was like a waterbed, the water completely lifted the floor and knocked the bin over.
"I just started throwing old clothes - anything I could find - on the floor to stop it getting into the other rooms."
The housemates were suprised to find the flooding had been caused by an apron which had been blocking their drains.
When the torrential rain flooded their back yard the water had nowhere to escape and instead spilled into the house.
Hundreds of pounds of their belongings were destroyed in the floods.
- Weather Disruption Continues - And The Rain Returns
- Lucky The Dog Rescued As Gateshead Homes Flooded Again
- Flooding And Road Closures As Wild Weather Returns To Tyne And Wear
- Wild Weather: Your Pictures Of Sunday's Storm
- Live Blog: Latest Travel News After Floods Hit Tyne And Wear
- Man Killed In Northumberland Floods
- Super Storm Flood Collapses Park Wall And Buries Road In Rubble
- Cash Strapped Councils Cannot Afford Flood Bill
Were you affected by the summer superstorms?
More from News
- Skydiving: 'Always Terrifying' According To Newcastle Academics
- Report Slams Social Workers Who Missed Danger Signs For Baby Killed While Mum Was At Shops
- Would All Red Strips Turn Sunderland And Newcastle United Into Winners?
- Pensioner Injured By Giant Letter
- Sky Ride Comes To NewcastleGateshead In Summer Of 2013: Get Your Bikes Out
- Northumbria University Students Struck Down With Suspected Food Poisoning After Graduation Ball
- Puffin Census: Watch The Farne Islands Head Count In Progress
- £3m Cancer Support Centre Opens At Freeman Hospital In Newcastle