The winner of 2012 ITV reality show Britain's Biggest Loser has got engaged to his long-term girlfriend after losing 13 stone.
Kevin McLernon from Sunderland had been waiting until he lost enough weight to pop the question to partner Joanne Chard.
Despite having been in a relationship for 10 years, and supporting him throughout his weight loss, Miss Chard was still suprised by the proposal.
She told Sky Tyne and Wear: "We were just sitting in the living room and he said he had something to ask me. I thought he just wanted a cup of tea."
Kevin proposed using a ring which once belonged to Joanne's late grandmother, and was left to her after she passed away.
Once Joanne realised Kevin was asking her to marry him rather than boil the kettle, she replied with "of course I will".
The couple, both from Sunderland, met in a bar 10 years earlier, when Kevin still weighed over 32 stone.
While they described their relationship as a happy one, the couple say Kevin's weight was always a concern.
At a mere 19 stone in comparison, and his weight no longer a significant threat to his health, the couple can now look forward to the future.
They are celebrating the engagement with a party for friends and family at The Sage in Gateshead, and hope to have a quiet wedding abroad.
"We're not traditional", Kevin said. "That's why I didn't get down on one knee and that's why we'll get married in a different country."
In the meantime, Kevin is concentrating on passing exams to become a personal trainer, in the hope of inspiring others to lose excess weight.
- 13 Stone Lighter And Running The Blaydon Race
- Recipes For Fat Loss Feasts
- Is Obesity Written In Your Genes?
- Fat Fighting On The Beaches
- From Fat To Fit: Couch Potato Wins Triathlon Gold
- What Not To Do To Your Bride
- Lobster-Hurling Brawl At Danny Guthrie's Wedding: Claims
- Try Out This Two Minute Celeb Workout
What is the most unusual proposal you have seen?
More from News
- Cleaning The Tyne: Crew Back On River Rubbish Duty After Refit
- ¡Vamos! 2013: Burundanga And Hannahbiell Warm Up For Festival
- Maker Faire UK: Fire-Breathing Dragons And Pole-Dancing Robots
- Coach Crash And Building Collapse: Terrorism And Disaster Live Exercise
- Rising Teen Star Kiki Lowe: Newcastle Schoolgirl Forging Music Career
- Foghorn Requiem: Lighthouse Tunes Up For Festival Of North East
- Lee Halpin Documentary Death: Friends Vow To Finish His Film
- Blistered Molly: Teachers By Day, Rockers By Night