A Viking crew sailed up the River Tyne in a historic longship to thank the North East for introducing the Christian faith to Scandinavia.
More than 1,000 people lined the banks to welcome the Viking longship on Sunday afternoon.
When it arrived, the crew addressed the crowd on stage at Baltic Square on Gateshead Quayside.
Chief Viking Kay Morten Aarskog told Sky Tyne and Wear: “We ‘ve come to say thank you for the part that the ancestors of the people in Northumberland played in bringing the Christian Gospel to Scandinavian countries a thousand years ago.”
More from News
- Newcastle Primary Teachers Win Outstanding School Team Of The Year
- NE1’s Newcastle Fashion Week: Royal Wedding Catwalk
- Shannen Steinson Is Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013
- Tyne Tees Models Strut Their Stuff At Intu Eldon Square Fashion Show
- students mind
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Northumbria University Graduation Ball Illness Thought To Be Norovirus
- Pictures: Meet The Finalists Hoping To Be Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013