Olympic double medallist Dame Kelly Holmes believes North East olympic runners could bring back medals from the 2012 games.
Ross Murray from Gateshead, Nic McCormick from Newcastle and Laura Weightman from Alnwick are all taking part in the sprinting.
Both Laura and Ross are running the 1500 metres - the same race that Dame Kelly won her gold medal for in 2004.
Nic is taking part in the 5000 metres race.
Speaking of Ross McCormick she said: "He's an accomplished athlete... He certainly could come back with a medal."
"Laura and Nic are first time Olympians. They'll have no fear...Nobody is especially expecting them to do brilliant but they can."
- Dame Kelly Holmes Trains Future Olympians In Gateshead
- Police To Provide Extra Security After G4S Blunder
- Jarrow Arrow Steve Cram Joins School Sports Day
- Legal Fights In The Stadium Of Light
Can our North East oylmpians can win their categories?
More from News
- Washington Fraudster Faces Jail After Playing Rugby With £923,000 'Wrist Injury'
- Brother And Sister's Plea To Missing Newcastle University Student Jason Fyles
- Cleaning The Tyne: Crew Back On River Rubbish Duty After Refit
- T&C Win Evolution Tickets: Why I Love Evolution
- Missing Student Jason Fyles: Family Appeal For Teenager To Get In Touch
- Missing Student Jason Fyles: Growing Concern As Bank Account Untouched
- State Of Nature: Report Warns Of Threat To North East Wildlife
- Boy Aged 10 Airlifted To Hospital After Being Hit By Car In South Shields