Double Olympic champion Dame Kelly Holmes is helping inspire future sports stars at Gateshead College Academy For Sport.
The professional sprinter has joined forces with the college to launch a new training and mentoring programme for the students.
Implemented by the Dame Kelly Holmes Education enterprise, the programme will enhance the college's existing sports courses.
From September 2012, 300 students at the college will take part in further performance training including anti-drugs lessons and nutritional classes.
The students will also take on extra training classes to help them stay fit for their individual sports.
Dame Holmes marked the launch of the new partnership by holding a circuit training session at the academy.
She said she chose Gateshead because she was so impressed with the enthusiam and support from within the college.
She told Sky Tyne and Wear she hoped to encourage the students to go on to become Olympic medallists themselves.
"You don't get superstars unless you inspire people in the first place, but in 2012 it's about more than just inspiration.
It's about giving people the right facilities, the right support, the right background, and that's what we are doing."
- Money Matters: Athlete's Funding Conundrum
- Steve Cram: Those Not Selected For Olympics Can Only Blame Themselves
- Gold For Sunderland Athlete
- Broken Dreams: Athletes Missing Out On The Olympics
Who is your favourite sports star?
More from News
- Go Compare Advert Singing Chihuahua Stolen In Burglary
- Evolution Festival Director Jim Mawdsley Talks Curry, Cocktails And Bikinis
- Armed Robber Targets Tyneside Post Office
- Coal Mining Elvis Impersonator Among Artist's Work On Post-War Tyneside
- Bud The Police Horse Punched After Tyne Wear Derby Returns To Newcastle For EDL Demo
- Car Park Capers: Nesting Seagull Picks Empty Bay At Train Station
- Fresh Start For Unemployed And Ex-Offenders At Charity Cafe
- People's Assembly: Owen Jones Rallies Anti-Cuts Support In Newcastle