The Northumberland Street entrance to Eldon Square could be transformed into a towering glass structure if plans are approved.
Capital Shopping Centres has submitted an application to redevelop the 1960s entrance and the two shops either side, adding an extended roof canopy.
It follows an announcement in December 2011 that joint owners CSC and Newcastle City Council plan to invest £22m in a modernisation programme, upgrading ceilings, entrances and interiors in the existing malls.
Martin Breeden, Asset Management Director at CSC said: "The scheme will add to the vibrancy and vitality of the city centre and build on Newcastle’s success as one of the UK’s best retail cities."
A decision on the planning application is expected by mid-August.
More from News
- Rising Teen Star Kiki Lowe: Newcastle Schoolgirl Forging Music Career
- Foghorn Requiem: Lighthouse Tunes Up For Festival Of North East
- Lee Halpin Documentary Death: Friends Vow To Finish His Film
- Blistered Molly: Teachers By Day, Rockers By Night
- The Jessica Biel Look: Makeup Artist To The Stars Working On Wearside
- Has He Found Love? Catching Up With Undateables Star Steve Carruthers
- Rebuilding The Past: Historic Aircraft Resurrected On Tyneside
- Is The Ouseburn Valley The Coolest Place In Newcastle?