Seals at Tynemouth's Blue Reef Aquarium are celebrating their birthdays.
Harbour seals Sofus and Marvolo both recently turned six years old and were given a special birthday fish cake as part of their party celebrations.
Birthday boys Sofus and Marvolo share their outdoor home with two female harbour seals, Loffe and Selina.
Since arriving at the aquarium in 2007 the four seals, which are all captive bred, have become firm favourites with staff and visitors.
Aquarist Lauren Lawson said: "Marvolo is easily recognisable from the 'M' marking in the fur on the right side of his head.
“He's the largest seal, he's also the most mischievous and was named after the character from Harry Potter. He particularly enjoys having his teeth brushed.
"Sofus loves to play at the large underwater windows with customers and keepers.
“He is the greediest of the four and spends a lot of his time following the females around. He can also jump the highest.”
To mark the special occasion, the aquarium is holding a special weekend of activities and events.
On Sunday July 8 there will be three seal talks, as well as two daily seal feeds. A series of fun seal facts have been posted up around the aquarium and there will also be a seal colouring station for youngsters and a quiz trail.
Keepers will also be running question and answer sessions for visitors after each seal talk and feed throughout the weekend.
For more information, visit:
- The Underwater Marriage Proposal
- Monkey Mayhem In Tynemouth
- Hungry Otters Dine On Steak
- Saving A Species One Duckling's Step At A Time
More from News
- Coal Mining Elvis Impersonator Among Artist's Work On Post-War Tyneside
- Bud The Police Horse Punched After Tyne Wear Derby Returns To Newcastle For EDL Demo
- Car Park Capers: Nesting Seagull Picks Empty Bay At Train Station
- Fresh Start For Unemployed And Ex-Offenders At Charity Cafe
- People's Assembly: Owen Jones Rallies Anti-Cuts Support In Newcastle
- Cleaning The Tyne: Crew Back On River Rubbish Duty After Refit
- ¡Vamos! 2013: Burundanga And Hannahbiell Warm Up For Festival
- Maker Faire UK: Fire-Breathing Dragons And Pole-Dancing Robots