Days after the super storm that caused chaos across Tyneside, local businesses are counting the cost of flood damage and loss of trade.
The Asha Balti House on Ocean Road in South Shields was one of the worst hit businesses in the area.
Floodwater gushed into the restaurant causing irreparable damage meaning all of the floors and carpets need to be replaced, with a cost upwards of £25,000.
With half the restaurant now closed for repair, staff are turning away up to 50 customers a night and will be forced to do so for at least the next ten days until the property is restored.
To make matters worse, the Indian restaurant had just undergone an expensive refurbishment that was due to be completed just days after the storm hit.
Mohammed Dhilwar Hussain, owner of the Asha Balti House, said: “It’s going to cost thousands of pounds to repair the floor.
“It’s even harder for us because we’ve just literally had the place done out. We’ve built up this hype for people to come to the restaurant and now we’re having to turn half the customers away.
“Some of them are regular customers and once they go somewhere else you’ve potentially lost that customer, although we’d like to think we wouldn’t.”
- Video Of Flood Chaos As Freak Thunder Storms Hit Tyne And Wear
- Lightning House Fire: Roof Solar Panel Set Alight
- Mud, Sweat And Tears: Cleaning Up The 'Super Storm' Aftermath
- A 'Mystery Hole' And Two Floods - One Housing Estate's Misery
- Tyne And Wear Flood Live Blog: Your Pictures Videos And Advice
- Super Storm Flood Collapses Park Wall And Buries Road In Rubble
- Chaos In Tyneside Caused By Dangerous Super Cell Thunderstorm
More from News
- Newcastle Primary Teachers Win Outstanding School Team Of The Year
- NE1’s Newcastle Fashion Week: Royal Wedding Catwalk
- Shannen Steinson Is Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013
- Tyne Tees Models Strut Their Stuff At Intu Eldon Square Fashion Show
- students mind
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Northumbria University Graduation Ball Illness Thought To Be Norovirus
- Pictures: Meet The Finalists Hoping To Be Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013