Police have named the 31-year-old man who died after being found unconscious in an alley in South Shields.
Carl Brennan, of Charles Street, was found in back lane between John William Street and South Frederick Street near his home. He was taken to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
A 19-year-old woman and a 27-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of murder but later released on police bail.
Video: South Frederick Street residents shocked at 'suspicious death'
A post mortem proved inconclusive although it does not appear that a weapon was involved in the incident. Neighbours say a man and a woman with a small child live at the house which was part of the crime scene.
Traci Wilson, 41, said: "I came in at around midnight and saw the area swarming with police.
"The couple who moved into that house where the police are standing guard have only been there a couple of months.
"They have a little boy aged about five, and a dog. They seemed quite quiet."
DI Paul Woods of the Major Crime Team said: "We are continuing our investigations and enquiries into the circumstances around this man's death are ongoing.
"It is vital that anyone who may have heard or seen anything in the area at the time or has any information contacts police. All information - no matter how trivial it may seem - could be imperative to this investigation."
Anyone who may have been in the area at the time or has any information is asked to contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
More from News
- Rising Teen Star Kiki Lowe: Newcastle Schoolgirl Forging Music Career
- Foghorn Requiem: Lighthouse Tunes Up For Festival Of North East
- Lee Halpin Documentary Death: Friends Vow To Finish His Film
- Blistered Molly: Teachers By Day, Rockers By Night
- The Jessica Biel Look: Makeup Artist To The Stars Working On Wearside
- Has He Found Love? Catching Up With Undateables Star Steve Carruthers
- Rebuilding The Past: Historic Aircraft Resurrected On Tyneside
- Is The Ouseburn Valley The Coolest Place In Newcastle?