Newcastle United goalkeeper Steve Harper was at the Northern Counties School in Jesmond to swim a mile for the 'Reason To' project.
Organised by British triathlete Joanna Reed in aid of The Percy Hedley Foundation, the 'Reason To' project is a charity event aimed at seeing just how many miles the people of the North East can swim, cycle and run.
Joanna said: "The Percy Hedley Foundation is such a fantastic organisation helping so many children and adults across the region. 'Reason To' is about giving people a reason to be active, healthy and at the same time raise money for a fantastic local charity.
The Percy Hedley Foundation celebrates its diamond jubilee next year and supports children and adults with cerebral palsy, communication difficulties and profound multiple learning disabilities.
The 'Reason to Swim' event will run from Monday, July 2nd, to Sunday, July 8th and will see hundreds of youngsters from schools across the region swimming one mile as part of their swimming lessons, to see how many miles they can accumulate within the week.
- The Worst Goalkeeper Dive Ever? Steve Harper On Returning To Training
- McCrory Gives The Fairways A Good Pounding
- Sky Staff Zipwire From Tyne Bridge
More from News
- students mind
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Northumbria University Graduation Ball Illness Thought To Be Norovirus
- Pictures: Meet The Finalists Hoping To Be Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013
- 'Actor' Love Rat Conned Sunderland Woman Out Of Her Life Savings
- Skydiving: 'Always Terrifying' According To Newcastle Academics
- Report Slams Social Workers Who Missed Danger Signs For Baby Killed While Mum Was At Shops
- Would All Red Strips Turn Sunderland And Newcastle United Into Winners?