A man struggled with the crew of the Tyne fire boat after jumping from the Swing Bridge in Newcastle.
The emergency services were called to the Quayside at 00:35am on Tuesday June 26 to reports of a 31 year old man who had climbed on to the bridge and was perching on the wooden structure.
Despite the efforts of police negotiators, the man jumped into the water and resisted all attempts to rescue him using the fire boat.
He had travelled 50m downstream before crews managed to haul him aboard to safety.
As soon as he was on dry land he was taken into police custody. He did not need hospital treatment.
More from News
- Shannen Steinson Is Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013
- Braving The Rain To Make 31st Children’s Cancer Run Another Huge Success
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Offers £1Million Incentive To Beat Arsenal
- Burglar Jailed For Three Years After Targeting Homes In Westerhope
- Boss Faces Jail After Swan Hunter Shipyard Worker Is Killed By Falling Girder
- Shoe Mirror Peeping Tom Caught 'Perving' On Woman At Swimming Baths
- Residents’ Heartbreak As Sunderland Estate Floods Again
- Extra Police Patrols After Woman Is Raped Near Newcastle College