An 80-year old viaduct in Whitley Bay is having a £1m facelift to help prevent anti-social behaviour and revive the town's shattered tourist industry.
The Rockliffe Viaduct, which supports the main seafront path of the Southern Promenade, was once a focal feature of the popular tourist spot.
Now the viaduct has become a gathering place for the young people of Whitley Bay and a hub for anti-social behaviour.
Built above a mine, it has also weakened with age, and now presents a potential health and safety problem for North Tyneside Council.
They hope that filling in two of the arches and covering them with stone walling will not only strengthen the structure, but also deter badly behaved youths.
North Tyneside Council's Highways and Infrastructure Manager said of the viaduct renovation: "It generally complements the work that we are trying to do here in Whitley Bay.
"We want to see it return to the thriving seaside resort it once was."
Improvements to the coastline have already been undertaken and work has begun on a number of venues including the Spanish City.
The Council are hoping to secure further funding to renovate the central promenade, which would include removing the dilapidated sea wall and returning it to a landscaped embankment.
While tourism in the borough is still worth £243m and supports over 3700 jobs, North Tyneside Council want to recapture the livelier beach resort of the past.
The Council's regeneration team say they hope Whitley Bay will once again become "a tourist destination of choice."
Archive footage from Northern Region Film & Television Archive (NRFTA)
- Be The First To See What Whitley Bay Seafront Will Look Like
- Laser Rainbow Shines Over North Tyneside
- For Sale: The Family Home In A Graveyard
- Global Rainbow: Winning Photograph
- Blue Flag Status Awarded To Seven North East Beaches
- Fun In The Sun: Tidying The Beach
- Roker Beach Plastic Bag Mystery
- Beach Woman Rescued On Hottest Day Of The Year So Far
Which is your favourite Tyne and Wear beach?
More from News
- Tyne Tees Models Strut Their Stuff At Intu Eldon Square Fashion Show
- students mind
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Northumbria University Graduation Ball Illness Thought To Be Norovirus
- Pictures: Meet The Finalists Hoping To Be Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013
- 'Actor' Love Rat Conned Sunderland Woman Out Of Her Life Savings
- Skydiving: 'Always Terrifying' According To Newcastle Academics
- Report Slams Social Workers Who Missed Danger Signs For Baby Killed While Mum Was At Shops