A gun has been stolen from a house in Washington.
The Ruger .223 rifle was taken from a house in Usworth Hall in the Stephenson District along with cash, binoculars and sunglasses.
The theft happened some time between Sunday June 3, and Friday June 15.
Superintendent Jim Napier of Sunderland Area Command said: "A full investigation is underway and we are following up a number of lines of enquiry at this stage but we still need more information to trace the stolen items and the person responsible.
"We are appealing for anyone who thinks they may have information or who saw anyone acting suspiciously in the area to contact police.
"Neighbourhood officers are out and about in the area to answer questions and provide reassurance to the public."
Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 or ring the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More from News
- Skydiving: 'Always Terrifying' According To Newcastle Academics
- Report Slams Social Workers Who Missed Danger Signs For Baby Killed While Mum Was At Shops
- Would All Red Strips Turn Sunderland And Newcastle United Into Winners?
- Pensioner Injured By Giant Letter
- Sky Ride Comes To NewcastleGateshead In Summer Of 2013: Get Your Bikes Out
- Northumbria University Students Struck Down With Suspected Food Poisoning After Graduation Ball
- Puffin Census: Watch The Farne Islands Head Count In Progress
- £3m Cancer Support Centre Opens At Freeman Hospital In Newcastle