A couple accused of raping a woman have claimed it was a 'consensual threesome', a court heard.
Craig Rainey, of Raby Way, Byker, and Catherine Wilkinson, of no fixed abode, both 28, appeared at Newcastle Magistrates' Court facing charges of rape.
Prosecutors claim Miss Wilkinson lured a woman into a bedroom in a property in Raby Street in Byker, Newcastle, on Wednesday, June 13.
Mr Rainey is alleged to have entered the room and raped the woman.
Wilkinson also faces a charge of assault after allegedly attacking the woman following the alleged rape.
No pleas were taken, but lawyers for the couple claim the sex was consensual.
Prosecutor Rehana Haque said: "The defendants claim it was consensual. They claim it was a threesome."
No pleas were entered. Bail was refused and the couple are due to appear at Newcastle Crown Court at a later date.
More from News
- students mind
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Northumbria University Graduation Ball Illness Thought To Be Norovirus
- Pictures: Meet The Finalists Hoping To Be Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013
- 'Actor' Love Rat Conned Sunderland Woman Out Of Her Life Savings
- Skydiving: 'Always Terrifying' According To Newcastle Academics
- Report Slams Social Workers Who Missed Danger Signs For Baby Killed While Mum Was At Shops
- Would All Red Strips Turn Sunderland And Newcastle United Into Winners?