Sound of Music Star Connie Fisher has told Sky Tyne and Wear that she believes singer Adele should speak out about the throat surgery she underwent last year.
Connie is currently in Newcastle starring in the musical Wonderful Town at the Theatre Royal from June 12-16. For more details click here
She shot to fame in 2006 after being picked to play the lead in Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber’s revival of the Sound of Music on the show How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?
But in 2009, Connie had to undergo two operations after being diagnosed with the condition sulcus vocalis which puts extra strain on her vocal chords.
She noticed the problem when she found herself struggling to reach the high notes she used to be able to sing easily.
She contacted Julie Andrews who encouraged her to see her throat surgeon who has also treated Aerosmith singer Steve Tyler and Adele.
She said: “I’m always happy to talk to about it, whereas people like Adele have had the same thing, they don’t really talk about it.
“It kinds of makes you more human when you accept that actually – wow that was car crash and did that really happen?
“It was a very dark cloud for a while, but I think there’s a silver lining there.”
Although the surgery has repaired Connie’s vocal chords enough so that she can still perform, her range is lower than before.
This prompted her to take on the role of as aspiring writer in 1930s New York in Leornard Berstein‘s Wonderful Town.
“It’s very funny, but also it’s written for a non-singer,” she said.
“It’s a different role, and I hope people view me in a different way.
“Most of all I hope they come and see Wonderful Town and I hope they laugh.”
- Wonderful Town
- 'Blame Stephen King'
- Rufus Hound's Career Change
- Avenue Q: These Puppets Are Not PC
- Late Shows: Dance Around Your Handbag At Northern Stage
Do you think Adele should be more open about her throat surgery?
More from News
- Woman Missing From Durham Mental Health Hospital: Possible Sighting In Newcastle
- The Extreme Job Hunter: Video Stunts Set Dad's Online CV Apart
- Young Couple Killed In A1 Motorbike Crash: Families Pay Tribute
- investment embargoed till monday
- Fears For Missing Student After 'Friends Turned Their Back' Tweet
- In The Pink: Online Fashion Boutique Makes £1m In First Year
- Shannen Steinson Is Crowned Miss Newcastle 2013
- Braving The Rain To Make 31st Children’s Cancer Run Another Huge Success