Tyne and Wear’s newest nature reserve has attracted one of the UK’s rarest birds within weeks of opening.
A greenshank was spotted by wildlife enthusiast Jason Thompson at Whitburn Nature Reserve at the beginning of June.
Mr Thompson, from South Tyneside, is one of a handful of animal lovers who make up the Coastal Conservation Group.
The group created two new ponds at Whitburn Coastal Park after receiving a £38,000 National Lottery donation.
Mr Thompson invited Sky Tyne and Wear to the new nature reserve after it opened.
- Tyne Bridge Kittiwakes Staying Put
- Campaigners Claim New Homes Will Destroy Wildlife
- Dolphins And Whales Of The North Sea
More from News
- Missing Student Jason Fyles: Family Appeal For Teenager To Get In Touch
- Missing Student Jason Fyles: Growing Concern As Bank Account Untouched
- State Of Nature: Report Warns Of Threat To North East Wildlife
- Boy Aged 10 Airlifted To Hospital After Being Hit By Car In South Shields
- Ann Summers Party Ends In Violence
- Police Appeal For Information On Missing Newcastle University Student Jason Fyles
- Sports Direct Sign On Newcastle's St James' Park Roof Painted Over
- The Extreme Job Hunter: Video Stunts Set Dad's Online CV Apart