Charity fundraiser John Ellison has swum in open water for over 30 years raising thousands of pounds for good causes.
The 66-year-old from Gateshead swims in Cullercoats Bay in North Shields six days a week throughout the year without wearing a wet suit - something he says keeps him feeling fit and alive.
His achievements are all the more remarkable due to the fact that he only has one foot which he lost in a fire 45 years ago.
Mr Ellison from Gateshead has so far raised a total of £12,000 for charities including the RNLI, Marie Curie and the Charlie Bear Cancer Appeal.
- RNLI Man Wins Award For Saving 12-year-old’s Life
- Harvey The Surfing Dog
- Blue Flag Status Awarded To Seven North East Beaches
- Dirty Beaches: Councils Bring In Extra Cleaners To Combat Tide Of Litter
- Beach Woman Rescued On Hottest Day Of The Year So Far
- Fun In The Sun: Tidying The Beach
- Fat Fighting On The Beaches
- Roker Beach Plastic Bag Mystery
More from News
- Ambulance Needed On Fitness Guru's South Shields Booze Blow Out
- Nile Ranger Sentenced To Unpaid Work For Assaulting Girlfriend
- New Appeal For Convicted Sister Killer After Prison 'Confession'
- Lucky The Lamb Home For Easter After Police Foil Sheep Theft
- Explosive Alliance: Live Ammunition Training For British And French Troops
- Soap Box Racing: Dare You Take On The Simonside Challenge?
- Meet Newcastle's Six-Year-Old Award Winning Musical Prodigy Leia Zhu
- Violent Disorder By Newcastle United Fans In City Centre After Derby Defeat