A new wind and maritime training centre has opened in North Tyneside to prepare for thousands of potential jobs in the renewable energy sector.
The specialist centre developed by Advanced Industrial Solutions and Maersk training provides a hub for developing skills across the renewable energy, offshore, maritime and industrial sectors.
It features a 65ft high wind training tower and rigging and lifting areas where trainees can learn new skills.
Up to 80 jobs will be created at the centre itself over the next three years, and they expect to train 2000 people a year to take on jobs in the expanding renewabel energy sector.
It is hoped there will be thousands of jobs created in the region in the Green energy sector over the next few years.
Maersk Training's Michael Bang said: "Sectors like renewable energy are experiencing unprecedented growth and have resulting skills shortages that need to be plugged.
"That's where our centre is ideally placed to help equip the workforce with the skills that are needed."
As well as providing skills training for industry, the centre will also offer school visits and work placements.
- 1,000 Tyneside Jobs Still At Risk
- Nissan Apprenticeships Up For Grabs
- More than 1,000 Jobs As Nissan Sunderland Lands New Hatchback
- Robot Drivers Wanted: 130 New Jobs For Sunderland
More from News
- Rising Teen Star Kiki Lowe: Newcastle Schoolgirl Forging Music Career
- Foghorn Requiem: Lighthouse Tunes Up For Festival Of North East
- Lee Halpin Documentary Death: Friends Vow To Finish His Film
- Blistered Molly: Teachers By Day, Rockers By Night
- The Jessica Biel Look: Makeup Artist To The Stars Working On Wearside
- Has He Found Love? Catching Up With Undateables Star Steve Carruthers
- Rebuilding The Past: Historic Aircraft Resurrected On Tyneside
- Is The Ouseburn Valley The Coolest Place In Newcastle?