The uncle of footballer Jordan Lartey has launched a fresh attack on the way racist abuse directed at his nephew was investigated.
The North Riding FA declined to bring charges over a racist remark made during a match between Newcastle Benfield and Guisborough in January following an investigation.
Dez Lartey was unhappy with the investigation claiming it consisted of little more than watching the Sky footage, speaking to the referee who did not hear anythying, and then obtaining the denial by Guisborough FC.
When contacted by Sky Tyne and Wear Newcastle Benfield said their contact with North Riding FA had consisted of two emails and a short phonecall.
North Riding however, insist they conducted "a thorough investigation over a two-month period", which included dialogue between both clubs, the match officials, and players.
In a letter to the FA criticising the handling of the inzvestigation Mr Lartey says: "I have received much verbal support in my pursuit of justice on many occasions whilst visiting the home ground of Newcastle Benfield from well-wishers who I do not know personally."
A Sky Tyne and Wear camera captured the comment apparently aimed at Benfield's Jordan Lartey, but the FA said: "We were not comfortable we could issue a charge that would stick.
North Riding FA have since told Sky Tyne and wear they intend to raise awareness of race-related issues via their normal communications with clubs.
Sky Tyne and Wear's report into the incident on March 21, 2012
Guisborough declined to view the tape.
At the time, Jordan's uncle Dez Lartey criticised the handling of the investigation, and now says he has further evidence of what he believes is mishandling of the case.
He claims North Riding FA - which has overall responsibility for Guisborough - made little effort to get Benfield's view on the matter.
Here is Mr Lartey's letter to North Riding FA's Tom Radigan, sent on April 7:
Yesterday (Good Friday), I attended the home of Newcastle Benfield to watch their game against Whitley Bay.
Whilst there, I took the opportunity to speak to their Secretary Mark Hedley regarding the FA's handling of the racist incident I complained of in January of this year. Since the incident, I have casually spoken to Mark on a couple of occasions whilst passing each other, but never spoke about the incident in much detail, as I was mindful that this could maybe jeopardise what I thought would be an imminent hearing.
Now that you have made your intentions clear that you intend to do absolutely nothing about the incident, I felt it appropriate to ask Mark how the North Riding 'Investigation' went, and what involvement Newcastle Benfield had in assisting the FA reach their deplorable decision not to make a racist charge in this instance.
Despite North Riding FA's claim to have thoroughly investigated the case over a 'two month' period, Mark informed me that the only communication he had with the FA was the receipt of a letter from them a few days after the incident acknowledging that a complaint had been made and an investigation would take place.
I was dismayed that there had been no other contact with Newcastle Benfield during the investigation said to have been carried out by the FA.
I have received much verbal support in my pursuit of justice on many occasions whilst visiting the home ground of Newcastle Benfield from well-wishers who I do not know personally. Almost all of them told of a "vile individual who should not be allowed to get away with this" - their words, not mine.
I was under the impression that these individuals would have been given an opportunity through the FA to come forward and make statements during their thorough investigation.
Mark also informed me that the FA have not even had the decency to contact the club since their decision not to charge, and inform him of the outcome of their 'thorough investigation'? Why is this?
Perhaps the FA now understands why Sky made the headline of my feelings that you have 'swept this incident under the carpet'.
Could you please provide me with details of exactly how this 'thorough investigation' took its course?
Sky Tyne and Wear understands that in addition to the initial contact made there was also a request for a statement from Jordan, this was despite Benfield having already told North Riding FA he had heard nothing.
The Association added that it "will, through its various communication channels, once again remind its entire member clubs that racism of any kind will not be tolerated at anytime within local grassroots football and, if a club or player is subsequently found guilty of such, we will impose severe punishments within the Football Association’s sanction guidelines."
- Football Racism Exclusive: Local FA Accused Of Inaction
- Olivier Bernard On Racism In Northern League
- Exclusive: Alleged Racist Incident In Northern League
More from News
- Derek Llambias Resigns From Role As Managing Director At Newcastle United
- Newcastle United Boss Alan Pardew Leads The Premier League Sack Race
- Rihanna's Greatest Hits: Stadium Of Light Star Lashes Out At Clingy Fan
- Vintage Vehicles Tear Up The Dales In The 43rd Annual Beamish Run
- British Army Redundancies: North East Ex-Servicemen Speak Out
- Newcastle Fan Who Punched Police Horse Claims 'Self Defence'
- The Beggar Who Makes Up To £150 A Day On The Streets Of Newcastle
- Newcastle City Council Leader Nick Forbes: 'Cuts Made Me A Hate Figure'