France international midfielder Moussa Sissoko has confirmed his desire to join Newcastle United, but admits his future has not yet been finalised.
Newcastle have been leading the chase for the 23-year-old Toulouse star and as he is out of contract in the summer, they have been able to talk directly to him as well as to his club.
It is reported that a pre-contract is close to being agreed, but talks over whether he would join this month or the summer are ongoing.
The player himself admits that a move to Newcastle does appeal to him.
"Newcastle is a club that attracts me, even if it has not a good ranking currently, but I am not scared by that," he told L'Equipe.
"I trust that group considering what they achieved last season. Moreover the officials have invested a lot on quality French players. They will have better results in the second part of the season.
"All those Frenchmen is reassuring. I know them well and that would help me to adapt."
While other clubs such as QPR have shown interest, he says they are not as attractive a proposition as Newcastle.
"QPR? I am a little less attracted. There are also good players there, but the situation is much more complex. However I don't close any door," he said, also adding he would rather move to England than stay in France.
"Marseille and Monaco? They are still attractive. But I would prefer to discover Premier League. It is the league that should match my football the best."
Sissoko was suspended by Toulouse earlier this week over the ongoing row over his future.
"The Toulouse chairman's decision was very disappointing," Sissoko said. "I didn't expect such a reaction. But he is the chairman and it is his club. I am just an employee but I continue to do well in training.
"I am a professional and if I have to play with the reserves or even the under-14s I will. I have no choice. But I trust my agents to find a solution even if it is a difficult period."
- NUFC Transfers: Colo Resolution As French Revolution Continues
- NUFC And SAFC Among World's Top Revenue-Generating Clubs
- Newcastle Target Sissoko Suspended By Toulouse
More from Newcastle United
- Newcastle United Win At Man United For The First Time In Nearly 42 Years
- Manchester United v Newcastle United: Live Commentary From 12:45
- #9 Blog: Changes Needed At Newcastle United Ahead Of Match With 'Wounded Animal' Man Utd
- Newcastle United's Oldest Player Jack Shiel Dies Aged 96
- Fabricio Coloccini: I'm Committed To Newcastle United
- Newcastle United's Remie Streete Open To Loan Switch
- Massadio Haidara Relieved To Be Back For Newcastle United
- Exclusive: Kostas Manolas On Newcastle United Transfer Link
Related tags: Sport
- Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur: Live Commentary From 17:30
- Gus Poyet: Sunderland Must Take More Risks To Move Off Bottom
- Sunderland Head Coach Gus Poyet Set For Tottenham Hotspur Reunion
- Durham County Cricket Club Restructure Coaching Setup
- Sunderland Are Not 'Worst Team In Premier League' Says Fabio Borini
- Durham's Ben Stokes Claims First Test Wickets In Second Ashes Test
- Stuart Gray Hopes Sunderland's Connor Wickham Stays At Sheffield Wednesday
- Still All To Play For At Sunderland Says Andrea Dossena
Related tags: Football
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Thriller At Stadium Of Light But Poyet’s Side Left With Nothing
- Sunderland Head Coach Poyet: We Could Not Do More Against Chelsea
Related tags: Newcastle
- Swansea City 3-0 Newcastle United: Winning Run Comes To An End In South Wales
- Malcolm MacDonald: Simple 4-4-2 Formation Has Been Key To Newcastle United's Winning Run
- Swansea City v Newcastle United: Premier League Preview
- Yoan Gouffran Is Enjoying Life At Newcastle United
- Newcastle Midfielder Sissoko Lifted By West Brom Winner
- Newcastle United Announce Plans For New State-Of-The-Art Training Complex
- Newcastle 2 - 1 West Brom: Sissoko Screamer Seals Fourth Straight Win For Newcastle
- Newcastle United To Build Super Training Complex To Attract Elite Players